Farnsworth Questions

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Richard Hull

Re: Farnsworth Questions

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:19 am

Frank, I have long called for the Lawson criteria here in hundreds of posts. Energy at cross section, pressure, containment. No one on earth has run a fusor at real high energy, high pressure fuels and high current. All fusors will and forever suffer at very high energy ions, being forever limited to operate at low pressures and low currents. I doubt if anyone ever will..... Certainly, never at the amateur level. By this I mean 200kv applied, 100 microns pressure and 100 ma current or better. This would be a fusor breakthrough leaving us only 7 or 8 orders of magnitude away break even! I am really waiting for someone or group to belly-up to the bar to "show me".

Nicolas, "Star mode" means absolutely nothing in relation to the fusion process! it does indicate a, clean, somewhat limited, symmetrical, internal operational regime. There are no instability issues in the fusor as built here. The fusor is a bungling mass of disorganized, bull headed electrostatic goings-on in an ionized plasma that cannot help but fuse due to the very uncontrolled nature of the effort. It is mostly a velocity space fusion system with a bit of target-fusion coupled with fortuitous re-ionization possibilities. Working against all of these fusion methodologies is the bedlam going on through out the device. There are no instabilities in the system because there is no attempt at stability in the very simplicity within the device. We have enumerated in many posts over the past years the exact mechanisms pro and con that we think are going on in the simple fusor.

Add multiple precision ion guns, several biased internal, ported,shells and perhaps ultra-high frequency, high voltage, high power oscillators to get a bare, hoped for improvement in stability and control of the processes involved and.....Who knows?

We have what we have, it does fusion. In this ball of bedlam, the simple amateur fusor, mathematics is the outsider regarding any precision of understanding. Certainly no trained physicist familiar with fusion and plasma would give it the analysis you seek as it is just does not show any merit or display any chance of re-paying the effort involved. Too many variables and processes coming to light only from empirical experiment and, perhaps, processes not even identified at this time, 20 years later.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:31 pm

As I've posted before, fusors, no matter the number of ion guns or increase in density or other tricks these devices will never even match the Sun for energy output (on a volume bases) much less exceed it. In the Sun, even at a million times our atmospheric pressure and millions of degree's C the net fusion via tunelling runs at all of about 300-500 W/ m^3 per sec (try figuring out how much hydrogen and deuterium is in that cubic meter - I did that once and it is vast.) That is barely more power than what the average fusor puts into their device. If those vast pressures and temps produce such tiny amounts of released energy, what is any fusor under vacuum ever going to achieve? Give it a rest; no way will a fusor based on tunnelling ever give real power (above net.) When you think about the conditions in the Sun's core and its puny energy release - trying to get a fusor to exceed even this rather unimpressive level is just plan silly.

On the otherhand, without this strong restriction, life would never occur in the universe since otherwise, star's would burn up in no time. We should be happy that tunneling is so ineffiecent.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:59 am

Tunneling is a mere rolling of the dice......... the P-P cross section is so miserable coupled with casting the of dice, solar fusion is pitiful. The solar core temps are also rather pitifully low. (thank goodness) Also written and calculated out in past posts years ago.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.