The direction of Fusor.net

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

The direction of Fusor.net

Post by Frank Sanns »

Summarizing from another thread.

It appears to be the consensus that the site has evolved out beyond the ICEF device that Richard and others started this site with. Any of the standard forms of fusion now qualify to fit within the normal posting structure. The Other Forms of Fusion will then, at least for now, will be approaches like sono-fusion, LENR, and the like. Of course I could imagine this also be just another form of fusion in the standard forum so maybe we no longer even need the other heading of Other Forms of Fusion. As previously stated by many of you, it is neutron production that is the hobby here.

Those with engineering or advanced relative technical degrees have spoken. In addition, I have had some PMs over the past year that suggest, I am not the technical person for the job of running the site. At this point, I tend to agree with them. I have zero formal back ground in electrical or nuclear engineering. I am not an engineer. I am a chemist and that is my day job.

So I guess I will ask for a young 22 to 30 year old, with and EE or nuclear engineering background or similar, to take over the forum from me to turn it into a more contemporary evolved version. This old experimental hobbiest is no longer the person this site needs to evolve. I am happy to turn the hours of structure, SSL, maintenance, backups, and other duties each week over to new blood.

Maybe some nominations can be made in this thread of the young folk as anybody over 35 is not really gaining anything here no matter the background. Certainly Andrew S., Joe G, Aiden and a couple other come to mind.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Joe Gayo

Re: The direction of Fusor.net

Post by Joe Gayo »

Frank,

I'm not sure of the importance of a site admin being a technical expert in all aspects of the site's subject matter (you certainly are not a novice, and reasoning skills are more important than knowledge anyway). We'll see what forum members think and suggest as a future direction (if any change is necessary).

On another note, I responded emotionally to what I perceived as a digression from the progress I saw in Fusor.net, and directing dismissive comments towards you was wrong. The task of shepherding a site with a diverse range of topics and sources of input is daunting and the work you and Richard have done is commendable. You came with honest questions about the future and I failed to recognize that and interpreted your posts differently. I'm sorry and apologize.

Joe
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I, for one, do not see a need for any change of admin or the normal progression path we have had in the past or need for any more dynamic than we have now. This site will never just be another fusion site by any measure. This remains a doer's site for the most part. We have forums for theory and other forms of fusion. Why change anything? There is no crying need.

Folks here that remain here are folks who have found a place where they can share their personal fusion experiences with others. Notice I said personal experiences......Just how many people have personal fusion experiences within the doing of fusion to share?! Damned few!

What other fusion site has such activity where the best posters have done fusion with their own hands, expending their own treasure to do so?

No gentlemen, change nothing. Just keep plugging away. Whether you are here for fusion numbers (2X the neutron number) or for activation or advancing the kit to do these things, this site is unique as are its players, posters and contributors.

I implore Frank to continue as admin! His value and hard won experience in this exceeds all other considerations. Who among us has the skills needed to manage this site and the core level? Oh, I am sure there are a few, but are they willing to stay lashed to this ship's mast for years as Frank has? I suggest all the rest of us just keep on hitting "it", whatever "it" is to you. We must all respect all others here as we are all on a mission. The mission as a group while retaining all of our own personal original ideas thoughts and goals.

My heart falls at the thought of any form of rancor here. We are, everyone of us, above this, I believe. Let a fresh wind fill the sails of this ship.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Joe,

Thanks for your thoughts and words. I also apologize as I should not have responded with a shot across the bow. It is not the first nor last time written dialogue will be misinterpreted by the other party. I should have known better.

Richard,

Thank you for your input. There is no rancor. All is good. I am just a little weary at times and sometimes a lot less patient than in my younger decades.

I truly want what is best for the forum for novices and ultra experts and everybody in between. In this overly agendized (is that a word?) society, it is refreshing to have a site that can mentor and have people grow to the point of contributing to world class efforts. I don't think many sites can make that claim.

I am willing to stay on as the site admin but I genuinely would like to hear from others if they want to step up or if they have more input into the site's direction.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Apologies hurt when making them for all of us, until they are given freely and openly before others. All parties can rejoice in that. Keeping one's powder dry is tough sometimes. Many a fired shot can't be recalled without associated remorse and recovery. We are bigger people for it.

I too have long been quick to judge and accuse, but in the middle of a post composition, decided the better me must prevail and there is damned little of the best of me remaining at 75.

I am glad Frank decided to stay on provided no one is willing to stand up as admin with a multi-year commitment to the site.

Now lets get back to what we were doin'!!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

Hooray!
When peace prevails, hooray!
When wisdom shines in the light of forgivenes, hooray!
When the suffering of changes is postponed, hooray!

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

I agree with Finn! We have some awesome folks on this forum.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”