Doug Coulter

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Re: Doug Coulter

Post by Richard Hull »

Bill, thanks for this update on Doug and his efforts following Gonzo event. It explains a lot. The fusor that Bob took was not the gonzo fusor. That again, is a much needed revelation. This fusor sounds like a much more refined fusor of some good stability. Bob is indeed a good choice for future operations around it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I did tell Doug that if anyone else shows interest that has the skills and lives closer to VA to let them have a go at it, but as it was, I was the most likely candidate willing and able to accept it. The main change that might make replication more difficult is the more stable feed throughs without the arcing. I'm going to guess that the arcing is what shock excited the system into oscillation. I may have to use link coils like one did for making a TPTG oscillator using tetrodes or pentodes. We'll see.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Bob, Bill
I've got some video of when i was helping Doug some where
question
Should I put it up here or on youtube or should it go incognito to Bob?????????????

I did a few while being bathed in a neutron field that was making me quite uncomfortable with the reported levels from Doug's instrumentation. Silver activation was super simple and the decay was very visible for 10's of minutes
billwcf

Post by billwcf »

John, Hi. I’d send it Bob directly so you won’t have to edit out all the “descriptive” language😊. Bill
Last edited by billwcf on Thu May 27, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

For what it's worth, I'd love to see the video as well, always great to see how people operate their devices!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Give us the full boat ride...Upload the video, (probably on You tube). I love "descriptive language' it shows a passion for the subject. A little salty sea air is refreshing.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Okay here are the vids
There doesn't appear to be too much descriptive language
Bill might remember what the graphs Green and red denoted and the calibration of such

https://youtu.be/s2lJJhhQbGw

https://youtu.be/zopSO3P2fQ0

https://youtu.be/5ZjuHUlAEfE

https://youtu.be/4Eri2hgLbBQ
billwcf

Post by billwcf »

Don't remember exactly I think green was averaged neutron count and red was the geiger? bill
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Thanks Bill
Yes I think that is correct as you see at the end of one of the runs the activated Silver is put on the geiger straight after finishing the run
Pablo Llaguno

Post by Pablo Llaguno »

I am sad to hear about Doug's passing, I was always amazed by his work and as someone said "his out of the box thinking". I got to know him too through some google mets conferences and he was a great guy to talk to - even when my English was quite bad and my knowledge poor, he was nice to me.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”