Edit posts

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Bruce Meagher

Re: Edit posts

Post by Bruce Meagher » Mon May 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Frank,

Just reposting didn't fix the issue with my thumbnail images. I tried just reposting, I tried making a minor edit and reposting, I tried placing the images inline, and I even tried deleting the captions. None of these methods worked to restore the thumbnail. I still can click on the images and they appear. I can delete the images and re-upload them to fix the problem, but my understanding from your previous post indicates I shouldn't need to do this.

Can you try to fix this post <viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11533&p=81778#p81778> and tell me the steps you performed to restore the thumbnails?

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 pm

1. Navigate to the post

2. Click on the pencil edit button

3. Go to the attachment tab at the bottom of the page.

4. Select the image and click delete

5. Still in the attachment tab, click add files. It should open a window so you can select the files on. your computer.

6. Click submit.

The image should appear. Once you can do that, then next time try to use the inline button to place the image other than at the bottom.

If that does not work for you, then it has something to do with the permissions on the board. I looked at them and they seem to be right. If you are not having success, I may temporarily remove permissions for everybody then reinstate them to see if that fixes it.

Let me know you results. Thanks.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 am

Franks suggestion is the only way to get it to work. The old attached image file must be fully deleted in edit mode and then uploaded as a new attadchment, fresh.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue May 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Frank said,
"The photos of those with the ID numbers starting with a 4 are gone according to Rex."

Not quite right, I wish it was just 4. It is 4 or greater.

From what I see in posts, the users who lost all their uploaded files in the move are users who's
ID number begins with the number 4 or more (4-9).

So, UserIDs in these ranges:
40 to 99,
400 to 999,
4000 to 9999 (but the current highest ID is in the 6000s.)

I'm not in a position to count active users and it probably wouldn't be easy, but potentially more that half of users are in the lost their files range.

My UserID is 2nnn so my uploaded files were not lost in the move. At least some of my posts from before the move have the issue of only showing the filename inline (not the thumbnail) in the message, but clicking on it does display the file.

Richard said:
"Franks suggestion is the only way to get it to work. The old attached image file must be fully deleted in edit mode and then uploaded as a new attadchment, fresh."

I'm sure that is true for Richard because he is in the group that lost all his uploaded files. I think (per Frank's fixing some of my posts) that repair of the inline-only problem doesn't require an upload for a file that is already there. I haven't done a repair of this yet, but I think what Frank says is it just needs a redo of the "place inline" for each file that is really there. Is that right, Frank?

A while back I posted a way for a user to possibly find their UserID number. What I did isn't a sure thing for everyone and might depend on the browser they use, but if any interest, ask, and I'll post my method again.
Rex Allers

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue May 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Frank,
I just found one of my old posts that has the inline attachment issue. Filename is there and opens the image if clicked on but the thumbnail doesn't show in the message.

This one:
Re: MKS 901p
by Rex Allers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 pm
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11533&p=80133#p80133

With my editing privileges I tried to fix the inline issue on one file by trying to redo the "place inline" for one attachment file again. It didn't work. After my edit I clicked 'Preview' and nothing changed. So I'm not sure how you fixed my inline attachment images in Tyler's pump thread. I don't think you uploaded my images again because you shouldn't have them.

Did I miss something? Can you walk me through the details of how you fixed the inline issues with my attachments in Tyler's thread or what I need to do in the 901p thread above?

Seems Bruce and I are both missing something about repairing the inline issue for our files that are already uploaded.
Rex Allers

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue May 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Let's stick to tackling the attachments that are still physically there for the moment.

Actually, I do have all of your photos Rex along with everybody else's photos on the board that survived the MT corruption.

The process to have them properly appear is to fully delete them from the post and then add the attachment back in. Putting them inline is the choice of the author and has no effect of the file showing up or not. It is only WHERE in the post it shows up.

On a side but important note, there is a setting for thumbnails in the board configuration. It determines when a thumbnail is generated and when the full picture is displayed. When we first were having problems, essentially none of the photos were appearing as thumbnails.

You may recall that it was a much bigger problem. I resolved over half of the problems by adjusting the maximum and minimum thumbnail settings to force a thumbnail to be generated. It is a strange setting that will not generate a thumbnail if the picture is within the bounds of the page height and width. The full picture just displayed. If the photo is larger than either dimensions, a thumbnail will be generated (looks like a box with a question mark now). Clicking on the thumbnail gives the full image.

Further complicating it was the increasing the size of the images that were allowed on the forum towards the end of Media Temple. It used to be all images were small enough to work right. Now here on Godaddy, we are in megabyte images when we used to be kilobytes.

I have worked with the settings to force a thumbnail and also to force even large images to appear filling the entire page with no thumbnail generated. Nothing made the invisible pictures show up. Just boxes with question marks.

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Thu May 21, 2020 2:57 am

I was able to fix all my posts (thumbnail missing issue) by deleting the old images as Frank described. I used local copies from my computer for the update. If your photos are not readily available, one could download the images from the forum (before deleting them of course). I only have a few posts so it didn't take too long. The issue seems pretty widespread over the past few years. Hopefully others will slowly update their posts.