Edit posts

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Tyler Meagher

Edit posts

Post by Tyler Meagher » Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi,

Is there a way I can edit my old posts so I can try to fix all my pictures? It seems most of my pictures were lost when the site moved.

Tyler

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Edit posts

Post by Frank Sanns » Thu May 14, 2020 1:40 am

Tyler, you now have editing privileges of your post for one week. Thank you for restoring your pictures.

Tyler Meagher

Post by Tyler Meagher » Fri May 15, 2020 2:09 am

Thank you. I finished fixing all my pictures. Several people who posted in my vacuum pump rebuild thread also having missing photos, but I fixed what I could.

Tyler

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri May 15, 2020 2:31 am

Looks great Tyler. Thanks for the fix. Let see the others in the thread can do theirs too. Rex, Rich and Rich?

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 am

Tyler, Good work. Thanks.

Frank,

Re: "Let see the others in the thread can do theirs too. Rex, Rich and Rich?"

I assume by that you mean me, Rich Feldman, and Rich Normand.

None of us three are suffering from the post-move global attachment loss syndrome. But there's another weird glitch that happened. In some post threads the attachment only shows inline as a box with the file name in it. But the file is in the forum database. If you click on one of those file boxes in the message, a new page will open with the image or file displayed.

That is the situation in Tyler's pump rebuild thread. Tyler is one of the people who lost all his attachment files when the site moved. Us three R's didn't lose our files but that thread has whatever problem is not showing our attachments inline.

I'll restate what I figured out last year about the missing attachment file problem. All users who have a userID number with a first digit of 4 or greater lost all of their uploaded attachments in the move.

I don't know what has caused some threads to have this other problem with no inline display, but the files are there if you click on the boxes.

I offered to try to work on figuring out some of these issues last year. Would have taken server-level access or a clone of the forum to use offline. Never happened. I've faded to the background on forum issues now.
Rex Allers

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 pm

I took care of that thread. It is all cleaned up now with attachments showing properly for all that posted. I deleted your redundant picture posts Rex as they were properly placed in your main post.

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 pm

I think the problem Rex mentioned is fairly common on posts from the past few years (prior to the site switch). Below is a list of some of my posts where the image thumbnails do not show up, but the images do displayed when clicked. Is this something each user can fix once discovered, or is there a way to identify the issue and fix it site wide?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12757&p=83082#p83082
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12566&p=81838#p81838
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11533&p=81778#p81778
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12581&p=81761#p81761
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12088&p=78696#p78696
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11557
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11533&p=76254#p76254
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11485&p=75775#p75775
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11485&p=75749#p75749
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11380&p=75154#p75154
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9916&p=74903#p74903
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10784&p=71342#p71342

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat May 16, 2020 7:38 pm

I was under the impression that those with editing privileges were going to clean up the photos in their posts.

1. If the photo was not there, they would upload a new one
2. If the photo was there but it had to be clicked on, then it was just saved and reposted.

I will elaborate on this last one as the board configuration seems to be confusing to some. When posting a photo, it defaults to being at the bottom of the post. If it needs to be within the text, the cursor needs to be at the correct place in the text when the photo is uploaded. The the INLINE button must be clicked for the image to plant there. This can be done up to the board limit (twenty) of number of photos in any one post. The INLINE button and cursor placement has to be done each time.

I did the second option to repair the vacuum post and the first two links that you sent Bruce. If enough people are serious about doing this to their posts, I will turn on board wide editing privileges for a week so everybody affected and fix their posts. Let's hear what you all have to say.

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 pm

I can clean up my posts if I can have editing privileges for a few days.

It does seem there might be a way to fix the image thumbnail missing issue site wide if it's as simple as just re-saving the offending post, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you did to fix the issue with my particular posts. In the past I usually just upload the images, added captions, and let the forum place it automatically at the end of my posts. In the rare occasion I wanted it in a particular place within the post I would use the inline function (which just throws in an html image tag at the particular cursor location).

As you and others have noted, this problem is limited to a certain period of time. However, unlike the lost images issue, there might be a method to repair this automatically. I'm not sure the powers that be want to take on the potential risk an of attempted fix for what some might consider a minimal gain. I know Rex previously offered to investigate, and I could potentially help, but at a minimum I will fix my posts if I can have editing privileges for a few days.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sun May 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Editing privileges enabled.

All it takes to restore photos that are there is to repost them. It seems phpBB has tendrils into many different files and structures. It makes not sense that deleting and reposting a file would fix it. If the database knows it is there, it should display it. Since it does not, some other attribute is left out of a file somewhere in the mix.

This is all further complicated by a script that was used to migrate the site from another platform to phpBB. More tendrils in more places.

We did a totally new phpBB install here so all of that should be behind us except for the place holders not completely working with some posters and some photos.

Yes, Rex and others offered and Paul has the final say on that. I think there is some reluctance at this point as we are up and running and do not want the multi month disaster that we had to put up with when MT and GD both threw us curve balls.

Access to this forum is not so simple to grant. There are a stack of other websites intertwined that is not obvious to those on here. There is also information within this phpbb structure that is confidential and having copies floating around, even on another private server, is not really any of our first choices.

The photos of those with the ID numbers starting with a 4 are gone according to Rex. There is nothing more we can do as the photos disappeared when the data base became corrupted on MT. The best we can hope for now is to have people repair their photos. I guess a script could be written to delete all of the photos on the site and repost them but to be honest, that scares the hell out of me after the last year of this problems.