Coronavirus pandemic

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Controlling the populace naturally demands governmental data manipulation. It is a given. Why should we expect the truth? A docile populace is an ordered and well managed public. Throw in the media as a big ole spoon to stir the pot. Plus, there is political axe-grinding at all quarters. You end up with what we have to listen to and all the associated doubt and fear it creates in the minds of the weak and ill equipped. This mix will never end. There is no real reason to expect it to end, either. Why watch reality TV? We are living it! Drama, trauma, is the status quo.

The art comes in refusing to accept delivery of drama, trauma and tragedy. Move about your own sphere, much as a wasp goes about in its normal busy way and all else fades into insignificance. Yet, remember, you have a stinger in the form of the human beast that can be summoned if directly interfered with in an immediate and direct, life threatening way. Don't tread on me.

Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. Do not not allow the proliferation of human scum around you to influence you in any way. Stay calm and carry on. Carry your cherished beliefs close to your heart and live by them, regardless of how they do or do not seem to fit among those around you. Be the captain of your fate and master of your soul. Do not become the captive of a collective body of thought, for that is cultism and makes one only an externally pumped, small molecule in an ephemeral, popular, viscous flow.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 pm

Not sure what to make of Richard's post. To me it came off as, "Don't worry, be happy".

Panic certainly won't help but this one is not something to be taken lightly.

Here's an interview I found where someone infected but without symptoms easily passed on the virus to friends, probably by only being in their nearby air space.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/20/81879774 ... obably-flu

All of it is informative. For the key part I am talking about check beginning at about 5:30.
Rex Allers

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Yes Richard, I have the same question. What is your point?
Last edited by Dan Knapp on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 pm

I have allowed and even contributed to this thread to this point but NO POLITICS. This is a global issue. No political commentary be it positive or negative.

Here are the forum rules: https://www.fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10508

Several posts have been cleaned up that are no longer relevant.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 am

I am just chiming in here to reiterate what Frank has said.

I think it is constructive to have this conversation, even though it is "off topic" for this particular forum:

--because this #pandemic is affecting every aspect of our lives

--because we're all "above average" and capable of insightful discourse

--because maybe we can help others filter the signal from the noise.

I think that any discussion that falls within to those parameters is appropriate and should continue. And I think it's useful to discuss what IS signal -v- noise, because that filtering is very much what we are all dealing with.

Who really knows what to believe? Is this a bonafide existential threat or a police-state threatening conspiracy. Fuck if I know (I can say fuck, it's my forum; hell, ya can all say it this thread, it's a very useful term for these end-times).

All I really know for sure is that I'm staying home and hoping I can continue to get groceries delivered. And unpacking them while wearing rubber gloves and then washing the gloves like I"m washing my hands. I'm good for a couple of weeks at the moment. After that, hell, we may all go feral. #FunTimes!

What is not acceptable - again reiterating what Frank said - is the discussion here turning partisan or political or divisive. No blaming. Filtering and interpreting yes; finger pointing or attacks, not so much.

And for the record, I'm not keen on word salads. Just sayin'.

I think the challenge that all of us face, really, is knowing what to believe and what to do about what we believe. I don't see how anybody can question but that vital systems are being challenged and we are woefully underprepared. You can disagree with that but, no, I am not coming over to your house to debate it with you.

So, in the interest of constructive discourse take a look at this site that just showed up in my personal online info feed:

https://covidactnow.org/

... and see how your state fares.

However you slice it,. it looks like we're in or at least 30-60 days of disruption.

Your mileage my vary.

--PS

And while I'm at it, here, have a little more #pandemichumor:
lebowski.jpg
lebowski.jpg (72.6 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:08 am

The bottom line, This is a spasmodic. Regardless of how many are impacted, die or lose their jobs, as a species we will survive and probably flourish. This too, shall pass. For me it pretty much just another one of "those things" that comes and goes. They all do. Sure, this could kill me if I am foolish or even just unlucky. If not, something surely will, in future.

I'm going about my busy way and haven't left the property in 10 days. Living off a large larder of long rotated and stored food stuffs. Getting a lot of stuff done in the lab. As I have many hobbies, many are pulled out of the boxes and worked on once again. Around dinner time, th' wifeo and I are re-watching tons of our old PBS British mystery and dramatic master piece series on DVDs and loads of VHS tapes of old movies. We were prepared for this in spades and yet we are not "dooms day preppers", just prepped against 3 months of no store visits. We are like a couple of old shoes and are comfortable as a matched pair. I hear a number of marrieds will come out of this in divorce or more strongly bonded. We will see. Statistics waiting to be compiled and books yet to be written around all of this.

Richard Hull

P.S. I should have bought Rhodium back two or three years ago when it was only $800 per ounce. It is a great neutron activator and a favorite of Enrico Fermi. It went up just recently to $12,620/troy ounce! Great news! It has plunged to about $7000/troy ounce in the last two weeks. If this trend continues, due to the great pandemic scare of 2020, I might just pick up an ounce if is gets under a kilobuck. A ray of sunshine!
Attachments
Stress.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Good to see you, Growler! Black Jack didn't get to enjoy extra time with Mom and Pop, he passed away on 2020_02_02. Still missed every day.
bj_crop.jpg
bj_crop.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 998 times
I am suiting up for a grocery store run.
Planning to sequester most of the large bags, without unpacking, at home for a few days. It works for radioactive waste! How long can our virus particles remain infectious on surfaces like food packages, fresh produce, and plastic produce bags?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Rich, you need to get another kitty kat, ASAP.

Pets can be a very important and calming source in a home. We have had three sibbling pairs raised from kittens since 1976. When the last of each pair passed, we immediately went out and got another sibbling pair. No cat we have ever owned has had its paws touch earth. As many know, who have attended HEAS, they live on a screened in side porch where I have built a large wooden house for them. They visit us indoors daily from about 5pm until 1AM when they are placed back outside. Pets can be disease carriers. Ours can't. When the outside temp is below 40, they get to stay inside. Our philosophy was why have kiddies when you can have kitties? There is a method to our madness regarding 2 siblings. Single cats, like single children can come to think they are something special and regularly "cop a tude". Two non-siblings will have to vie for attention food, etc., and often fight. Siblings will still vie for attention, but rarely fight for it.

I attach a last image on this subject that sort of tells it all.

Richard Hull
Attachments
our love 2.jpg

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Just received (March 23) our first official notice from US federal government.
Via the U S Postal service, which is a respectable channel, at the opposite extreme from Twitter and radio/television interviews.
I don't 100% trust robocalls and robotexts, as received from county and state authorities.
cdc1a.jpg
cdc1b.jpg
As of a couple days ago, the JHU coronavirus map/dashboard lost its logarithmic chart feature. For access to their underlying data, I got myself a Github account. Now need to learn a thing or two about Git. Any hints?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:11 pm

This is a very readable article on how the virus works:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... hard-kill/