Coronavirus pandemic

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:46 pm

Fabulous ionizing bandanna! Loved it! Funny in a time of lack of humor. A "positive" delight.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:12 pm

Greetings from West Bumfuque, Tennessee - on the frontier of the next hot-spot.

There has been quite a bit of commentary in the past few days about how the South is going get clobbered, and, as Frank observes, we are (likely) still in the very early stages of what could be a chronic condition for some time to come. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but from where we stand now the only thing at the end of the tunnel is more tunnel.

I am fortunate in many of the ways that Richard alludes to. No debt. A few shekels in the bank. A refuge out here in the country (I'll put a photo at the end of this post). My employer () continues to pay me even though my place of employment is likely closed until well into the month of May.

I do wish I could account for myself better all the free time I have and will continue to have for at least another month; I think one of the lessons here is that, while the opportunity for Big Changes are afoot, so far it's a continuation of whatever went before, only with masks and gloves.

I am grateful that the discussion here remains informative and dispassionate. The "discourse" elsewhere is much less so – a fact to which Frank will also attest. I'm glad this place remains a refuge.

And, yeah, I love the comedy bandana. Where do I get one of those?

Anyway, behold My Sanctuary:
IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg (228.6 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:52 pm

The mask was made from material I cut from a tee shirt I picked up at a physics meeting years ago. The remainder of the tee shirt didn’t say who was giving them away.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Yes, sewing machines are busy. My sister found some extra work for hers.
IMG_7432.jpg
I cleaned out a corner of garage that had been untouched for a few years.
Found a household radiation-dosimeters kit for which I had a use right away.
rad1.jpg
rad2.jpg
Looks like us Dicks have a common interest.

With a fresh D cell in the charger, it served to reset my 200 mR yellow pen dosimeters, whose charger (and my old DIY charging connector) are still missing. Story belongs in another thread.
I have given up on trying to set my "smart" phone camera to use less than a megabyte per picture.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Plain numerology continues to show easing of the expansion rate. Light at end of tunnel ? They say Germany is getting there.
cdc2.jpg
cdc2.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Of course one must consider the trustworthiness of numbers out of any place where government science output is politically filtered.

Planning for disease epidemics has been practiced by governments (it's one of their jobs) for more than 100 years. Today the science and computer models are better than ever.
rad3.jpg
rad3.jpg (105.52 KiB) Viewed 879 times

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:12 pm

That box was sent for 32 cents in 1961. I can remember the horror people felt when the postage leaped up 33% from 3 cents to 4 cents in late 1958 when I was 13. Today, a simple post card costs more to mail than the entire package above. We lived in the city, of course, and everyday, for 3 cents, the postman would deliver in the morning and then show up with more mail in the afternoon around 3-4 pm. Twice daily delivery for 3 cents per letter. Of course, dimes, quarters and halves were 90% pure silver. Around Christmas, we always got two or three silver dollars in additon to our gifts. The banks would have then in stock back then and you could go in and lay down a 5 dollar bill and get five silver cartwheels. Times change.......Even small change changed! Only the nickel remains the same composition it has had from the 1800s.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:04 am

I haven't been working on the fusor because now that the weather is warm enough to work outside comfortably I have been clearing more of the brush from around the vertical amateur radio antenna and the neglected vegetable garden. I'm more serious about gardening this year. Just got done putting up a greenhouse, so the seedlings will grow straight instead of leaning to the window like they do when started in the house. But with rain predicted for the next few days, fusor work may well begin again.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 am

I thought the group might be interested to know that “wastewater epidemiology” is beginning to take off in the US as a method to assess the spread of the virus in the population. A group from MIT/Harvard just posted a paper (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf) where they showed, as expected, that the infection level in the Boston area greatly exceeds the reported cases. They are trying to extend the study nationwide to track the spread,and, more importantly, to serve as an early warning of the next wave. See biobot.io (web page) describing this. If any forum members know people in their area who are associated with wastewater or sewage treatment facilities, it would be helpful to call their attention to the web page. This is rapidly developing, and there are probably many relevant people not yet aware of it.

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:49 pm

To fellow junk collectors, on my morning bicycle ride I saw two portable dehumidifiers sitting at the curb. These are a source of small refrigeration systems that could be used for cold traps on diffusion pumps or for drying deuterium. In my earlier life we used such small refrigeration systems with a cold probe that went into the fill port on the diffusion pump cold trap. You can make such a probe from a length of bellows tubing like that used for stainless steel vacuum "hoses" as shown in the attached sketch. One end of the bellows tube is soldered closed. A copper capillary or simply a copper tube with a crimped end is attached to the high pressure refrigerant line, and a larger diameter copper tube attached to the low pressure refrigerant return. You replace the evaporator (water collector) with this probe and insert the probe into the cold trap (with acetone or alcohol as a heat transfer fluid in the trap). Adding such a probe requires breaching the refrigerant system. Dehumidifiers made since about 2009 use R410a, which (to the best of my knowledge) does not require EPA certification to buy or use. Avoid any older ones that used R22. One can recover the R410a before removing the evaporator, and small containers of R410a can be bought online.
coldprobe.jpg
coldprobe.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 694 times

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:17 am

In my last couple of forays for food, the peanut butter aisles had a disappointing aspect.
Seems like hoarders / preppers have bought up all the crunchy stuff.
Nothing left but smooth or creamy style peanut butter, and pretenders like "peanut butter spread".