A biography based forum for select neutron club members

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

A biography based forum for select neutron club members

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:47 pm

For a while now, I have been pondering how to better access some of the best examples of people doing fusion on the site. The Images section works well to document a snapshot of what people do and it does a great job of that. That section should stay.

What I am thinking of adding is a consolidated "Works" of the individual. A picture and text bio of their contributions. It would only be for those that actually have done neutron production so that automatically narrows the field greatly. The criteria would be that they also must have made some technical design or theory contribution also.

A couple examples would be Richard Hull, Jon Rosenstiel, etc. So this would be a place where advanced work of an individual would be summarized in a handful of posts with their name in the title. It would allow for recognition of these individuals but also provide a concise way to see the kinds of works they have done during their fusor contribution years. Serious technical advancement of the fusor would be the requirement. No medals or accolades. Just technical highlighting some of the best of the best works and conclusions.

A nomination would be required and it would be up to the individual to post their own works or links to their works that go do other places on the site. I view it more like an index rather than moving a technical forum.

Please respond with your thoughts on such an undertaking.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: A biography based forum for select neutron club members

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:49 pm

I like this idea, Frank. There are several members still around who would be suitable candidates for what you propose, starting of course with Richard Hull and yourself and Jon Rosenstiel. Some others have come and gone.

I like the idea because it focuses on the most successful efforts, and (hopefully) sidesteps a lot of the "it'll never work" negativity.

Along with the biographical openings, I'd suggest some links to the most useful existing posts as well.

Yup, good idea.

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:16 am

Sounds good to me. Alas, a number of great contributors have left and gotten on with their lives. We will probably wind up with the "remains of the day". This might make the field rather small, but, I guess it is what it is.

The idea is a very good one, regardless. Thanks Frank for suggesting it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Andrew Seltzman comes to mind for me. His work included innovative grid cooling and ion sources. He also has long history of contribution to the forum.