Fusor.net Picture Archive 2000 to 2013

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Fusor.net Picture Archive 2000 to 2013

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:01 am

Here are the pictures and attachments on fusor.net for the time period from 2000 and ending around 2013.

Clicking on the link below will download the entire archive. The archive is approximately 1.3 GB so do not click on the link unless you are prepared to receive a very large file.

Get it while you can as this link will be removed in a month.

http://www.fusor.net/piczip/fusorpicarchive.zip

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Fusor.net Picture Archive 2000 to 2013

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Just checking to be sure this file is downloading properly for everybody. I consolidated all of the forum folders in one file rather than having a dozen. Is the that working ok or is the file too large?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes, I downloaded it just fine shortly after you put it up and extracted and tested by opening various images.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Worked well... was able to find several images that I though were forever lost. Thanks Frank.

Jon Rosenstiel

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 am

Frank,

I downloaded the zip and expanded it. Lots of nice pics in there. I recognize a few that go to an old thread that I learned a lot from. (Images now holes in that post.) Haven't tried to fix it yet.

I suspect that my previously described method might help to match many up. Looking at the downloaded files, they all seem to have a date of 11/4/19. I presume that on that date you created this shared archive from some other source and the process lost the original date for the files. A few have EXIF info in them that gives the original dates when the photo was taken, but most do not.

The original file dates (probably that would be the upload date, and posting message date) might help a lot in matching things up. Can you explain the process you used to create this zip that may have caused all the dates to now be 11/4 and do you have an original repository for these files having original dates that, by your message subject, were in the 2000 to 2013 range?
Rex Allers

Fraser-Thomson

Post by Fraser-Thomson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Frank,

thanks for this, lots of cool pictures in there.
if I may ask without trying to sound like im demading, how come it's only to 2013? is it just because those were the files in an easy to manage folder ready to share?

Thanks again,
Fraser
"Self-sustaining Nuclear Fusion is like starting a fire with soaking wet water, it's not impossible"
- my favourite way to describe Fusion to others

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:41 pm

The site has gone through several evolutions and also migrations. Each time, things are integrated into the new site and after a few backups of the new site, the old files are removed as they have become redundant and take up space.

An example of the problem is the current situation with the loss of a handful of days earlier this month. Because of redundant backups, the site that was under 40GB has now grown to just under 100GB; our new limit. Something has to go and it will once we get a little more time and backups in this current iteration. Everything that was the old site will be gone again and we will move forward with this new structure and content.

With all of that said, I recognize the historical significance of both text and images, and I have squirreled away things like the songs and intranets as well as all photos and attachments from previous iterations. What I have posted is from that archive that was not integrated into the current fusor.net site but was a remnant of past faces of the site. It was kept separate from the main fusor site files so it was not lost to the MT corruptions.

As to the amount of work needed or not for the zip file, On the contrary, it was an exceptional amount of work put into to finding and organizing the image archive. No more work could have made them any more organized or complete or contain any more information. Everybody should be happy these were even available after the MT fiasco that has started this seemingly endless spiral that all of us have worked to reverse.

I believe the original date stamps were wiped out during the 2013 migration when a complete change of platform was performed by a third party. All of my original photos have that date stamp. I am not sure why the new dates are being put on the files now though. All I did was group the pictures in relevant folders and zip them on a Mac. I have attached a random original unzipped and un copied image for you to examine.
Attachments
509.Picture 013.jpg
509.Picture 013.jpg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 1057 times

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Frank,

Thanks for the description. Not surprising, I guess, that all the files got dated 2013 when they were saved during that move. How those dates got changed to 11/2019 is a mystery, but since they all began with 2013 dates, neither version would help matching up the files to a message where they might belong.

When a file is uploaded as an attachment (as in your example in the last message) it gets the date of that upload. Also if I download that attachment to my PC it gets the date of the download.

I just did an experiment with my own web space using Filezilla to download a file. I thought that would keep the original date on the download file. It didn't; date was now. Looking around in Filezilla I found there is an option for transfers to preserve the date. Setting that, I was able to download a file and preserve the date but it isn't the default mode. Anyway, that experiment has no value in the current situation.

Maybe TMI. I'll scratch file date off of my thoughts of possible aids in matching the files to posts.
Rex Allers

Fraser-Thomson

Post by Fraser-Thomson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:52 pm

Hi Frank,

Thanks for that response and insightful explanation.

Fraser
"Self-sustaining Nuclear Fusion is like starting a fire with soaking wet water, it's not impossible"
- my favourite way to describe Fusion to others