Explanation and Site Status

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Explanation and Site Status

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:56 am

Today we went through all details of the last loss of over a week's worth of very valuable posts.

It appears that there is no way to recover those days. The proper files that GD supplied to us were not what they represented. They were in fact the same reset state that lost over a week of posting in the first place. Had it been the database they represented and had a plausible creation date on, then no actions of mine would have made a bit of difference.

I will reiterate for those that missed it. I did a backup of the database of the site just before I posted the GD database to a parallel database. For reasons that are now evident, but for security reasons will not be discussed here in detail, the configuration of our server overwrote the main fusor data base. When I completed my work, I did another backup so there were multiple restore points as we worked.

It is now painfully clear that doing a backup through mysql, immediately erases the previous one. The system is self configured to give just one and only one backup file. When I thought I was backing up the database, mysql was hard at work and automatically deleting all previous save points. This is in stark contrast to saving the database via the forum. The exact same file is generated as the mysql database but as I have done for well over a decade, it makes a new file. The backups are never auto deleted by the system so all states are always archived. We can restore to various points in time back to 2006 but cannot get back those ten days in December.

Andrew and I and ultimately Paul, spend a couple hours on a web conference going through each step and rechecking. As of now, we have multiple backups of the site as of today. For right now, we will be pulling weekly backups. In the longer term we will be doing automated daily, weekly, and monthly backups.

This means that for any given post, it still might be lost if there are any hosting server issues that occur between the time that you post and a backup occurs. For this reason, it is best that you keep a copy of longer or more significant works for a couple of weeks just out of abundance of caution.

The site is stable and open for business again with the previously stated recommendations. I am also now going to post the photo archive for attachment restoration.

Richard Hull

Re: Explanation and Site Status

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:40 am

Frank, Andrew and Paul,
Thanks for all the work you have done. I am sure we all appreciate it.
Thanks for the heads up with warnings about retaining long post for a month or so.
I will get back to work restoring post again.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks, guys. Time to send in a little green Christmas gift.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Rich Feldman wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:13 am
Thanks, guys. Time to send in a little green Christmas gift.
I'll be announcing an "annual fundraiser" sometime after the first of the year.

This transition / fiasco has not only been traumatic, it's been costly.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."