Not again!!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Not again!!

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Well it has happened again.

We are back up and running!

@#%$^&@@* but every message, image and diagram posted by anyone, including all of my correcting of FAQs posted on or after December 15th is now missing!

Thanks go daddy for the outage and carnage!

I May now have as much as 20 hours of work lost to the aether.

I am ready to just do nothing in the way of corrections until late next year or when ever this stinking mess stabilizes!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull

Re: Not again!!

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Let me cry in my beer and vent some spleen.
One of the most wonderful of FAQs that I cleaned up was Jon Rosentstiel's fabulous 2008 posting in the construction form of all of his work with images of the pressure points in a bell jar so that folks without a vacuum gauge could compare their visual image with his calibrated images to get a general idea of what their pump was doing. I spent 4 hours just doing that work of gathering the images from Frank who found them in his ancient image files, contacting Jon to see if I had his permission to annotate his images as I put them back. Got his permission and then went to work restoring his original post of 2008 with annotations. His original post was not a FAQ. I created a FAQ in the vacuum forum with suitable text on how newbies should use his old post and posted the URL. All is lost.

All of Rex Allers lists that guided me to the damaged FAQS and posts have also disappeared as he must have posted them since December 14. So much of all of the recent work product of our Seniors and my work on the FAQs appears lost.

The recent outage it is assumed due to Go Daddy adding the extra storage paid for by Paul a week or more ago. apparently they did not back up this site just before they shut us down and reloaded their last backup of the 14th. Blasting all 15th to the 20th to hell.

When back up this morning there were a bunch of red "unread" files. Oh goody! As I looked at them I though I have read this!! I finally looked at the date posted and all were dated the 14th with nothing after that.
I quickly checked my work done since then and it is all gone as are all other posts by all other folks during that period.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:59 pm

I am typing as I am on hold with GoDaddy.

When we upgraded our storage from 40GB to 90GB, we assumed it was as simple increase in server space.

Not so. They actually cloned the site to a new server with more storage. They cloned the site from Dec 13 - two days before we purchased the upgrade.

We were in NO WAY INFORMED that the IP address had changed, and so... just kept right on repairing what was now an OLD and vestigial site.

And then yesterday something when haywire with the DNS, no doubt as a consequence of the server relocation.

I am now on hold for "Tier 2"

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Well, I gave up. I started a teardown in a topic. The the messages disappeared around Dec 21th, then I started a topic with much more details.

The topic was about the teardown of a Edwards Active Gauge Controller and it has gone yesterday (from 23th to 24th). I did upload some new photos yesterday and left some others for today but today the topic disappeared too.

I am afraid to upload the topic again and find that in two or three days it has gone.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:02 pm

To say we have been experiencing “technical difficulties for the past few weeks would be one of the great understatements of all time.

There are times when the Internet truly sucks. This is one of those times.

We’re going to take a break from maelstrom for a day or two.

Proceed at your own peril.

There is really not a whole lot else to say at this point.

Did I mention “The Internet sucks?”

—PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Merry Christmas, everybody!
And applause for hard work, including dealing with people and businesses as well as tech details.

After our admins take a well-deserved break,
how 'bout picking a restore date (whichever is the least trouble that day), announce it, and stop messing with it?

Whether the lost section is six days here or three days there, won't be a big deal a few weeks from now.
Old timers and recent enthusiasts aren't going to flee because of a one-time hiccup.

Leave it to the posters to re-post. Those paying attention in last week have taken to saving copies of pages while they are up.
We are just waiting for the ground to stop shaking, then wait some more to be sure nobody is going to try another reset.

Thanks again.
-Rich F.
fspa.JPG
fspa.JPG (23.9 KiB) Viewed 986 times
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:40 pm

I agree with Rich. Cut our losses, they are real and I feel unalterably gone forever. Let this sleeping dog lie. Just walk away from trying to fix or repair anything here. The last two weeks are vapor. Let us get back to doing fusion and posting linearly from this point on.

I would hope that all the folks trying to reload the last two weeks will alert us when we can post again without fear of future losses of valuable content in future.
I have been totally successful at restoring old individual posts for the last two weeks, only to see all that I repaired come to naught.

It reminds me of one of my old maxims.........."If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed"

From this moment on post at your own risk of wasting your time helping anyone. This includes valuable attachments

Wait for some sort of promissory "all clear"

Richard Hull

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:56 pm

The site was running on two "world lines". One was the old IP address at GD and one was the new IP address that we are presently on.

Both had unique posts and the intention was to copy and paste from the old IP database to the new one since that was the one in place.

GD has put the old data base into a folder for us. Not trusting them, I started a new data base with another name out of an abundance of caution.

With more caution, I did a backup of the existing site to the default directory on the server. Then, I imported the old IP database into the new separate database that I had just created with different name, credentials, and read only privileges. This is about as safe as I could imagine to get the copy and paste job done with the old GD data base.

What was the worst that could happen? We would either be stuck with the timeline that we had been on until yesterday with the FAQs and everything else restored, or on the old timeline with the original posts. It was a logical move forward especially since the data bases were completely separate.

Well, that is not the worst that can happen. As it turns out, it appears that the magic old data base that GD restored for us what NOT the one from around the 20th. It was the one from back at the 13th before the changes were made. Now for the mystery. When I imported the database into the new named one, it would not load the tables because I had not yet renamed the database and password. The only thing I can think of is because the name of the database was the same, the system THOUGHT I wanted to overwrite the live forum with the same credentials rather than importing into a differently named one. We will look into this in a couple of days.

Before I made any more changes with passwords and names, I did a current backup of the site so everything would be restorable.

It seems that mistakes just compounded. What happened, was the database backup from GD, because of its name, did not load into my newly named one but into the live data base. I still do not know why this happened. It make no sense and I was logging each action that I took. When I saw that, I went to revert the site back to the previous back up that I had just done or the one that I did from the day before. All is good in the world right? Wrong! This FREAKING server, OVERWRITES BACKUPS with the most recent one. THERE IS ONLY ONE BACKUP AND IT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF THE FORUM!!!!!! HOW CAN THIS BE IN THIS DAY AND AGE????? The old site stacked the backups and when they took up too much space I deleted them. Now there is only ONE with 90 GB of HD space?????

I threw my hands up in middle of the night last night as I truly cannot deal with losing all of people's work to such a cumbersome and no intuitive or logical system. As much as I complained about MT in the end, that system made sense.

This last screw up is mine and mine alone. Sadly, I still do know exactly how it could have been averted. I had a faulty GD backup that they assured us was good. I had a current backup of the site that was good until the new backup. And I was operating a separate database from the live one. It is a nightmare for all. Instead of having two world lines, or paths, we actually had a third; the old, the new, and the old GD reset that lost us around ten days of posts.

So as Richard said, we are taking 2 or 3 days off from this. Apologies for the lost posts and for it taking so long but ALL of the previous problems have been brought on by the hosting accounts. This one lies squarely in my hands but again, I have no idea how I could have been more careful. Oh, and I saved the GD supposedly good database off line on my raid drive but of course, IT WAS NOT A GOOD ONE! p.s. to check the content of the database, I parsed it online with a text search function and it does not contain the lost posts.

What can you rely on these days????? Technology is not our friend. Give me a folder and files and let ME make the decision and not do all of this black box thing that changes and you do not know it until it is too late. You never know when that moment will come but it comes on phones, programs, and online. I almost think that software and hosting people do this deliberately to secure their job. Make it so complex and cumbersome and change it without warning so a logic sequence actually gets you in trouble rather than helping you find the right path. It is surreal.

Lastly, hold off on the posts or keep local copies of what you post until we figure out this new backup setup on GD. At this moment, there are zero backups of anything except from last night which is the state right at the begging of this thread. That is the only backup I have any confidence in that exists in multiple places.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:26 am

So let me get this straight. Post nothing whatsoever here without total backups at our own computers, until you guys give us the right to post normally once again.
Of course I will offer no help in short textual bursts as I will not be saving any of my simple advice posts, but only any massive personal work that I dare submit, and naturally, zero useful FAQs.

I do hope at the end of all of this "effort" you folks in command of content will post a simple one line post that is unequivocal.... such as......

"We are clear of any work at the core of this system, and all may post freely here with no more fear of losses, just as in days of yore."

Richard Hull