Senior users, Admins and Moderator - help us make repairs

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
John Futter

Re: Senior users, Admins and Moderator - help us make repairs

Post by John Futter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 am

Rex
thankyou using this shortcut im reviewing all 138 pages of my posts to find the missing if i still have them
have done quite a few today up to page 79

did find this one for Jon Rosenstiel to fix
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7894&p=57142#p57142

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:04 am

John Futter,

Thanks for trying to wade through your posts but hopefully this should help.

I processed Andrew's spreadsheet for just the missing files you originally posted. I converted that to a pdf (attached).

1st column is the name of the original file. If it doesn't end in a file extension it is because there were spaces in the name and it got truncated by whatever process created the list. So the one that says '7ton' would possibly be '7ton [something more].jpg'.

2nd column is the link to your post where you uploaded and attached the file. I think it should be a clickable link in the pdf I made. It should almost be sure to get you to the thread, but in my experience it may not be the correct post message in that thread. The last part of the link like:
"#p832121" is the id number of the post. In my trying-it experiments, if that post isn't in the first page of browser results for the forum "f=" and thread "t=", it will show you the first post in the thread rather than take you to your exact post. Just something to be aware of. I could say more about that but maybe TMI.

Hope this helps in some time saving from your diligent efforts to wade through all your posts.

If anyone else wants this kind of help, let me know.

Edit: oops, forgot attachment on first posting
Attachments
John Futter.pdf
John's lost attachment files
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Rex Allers

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:17 am

An additional level of strangeness in this problem brought up that I don't understand.

One thing John mentioned was this...
"did find this one for Jon Rosenstiel to fix
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7894&p=57142#p57142
"
This brings up something I have seen before but I don't understand.
I followed that link and I think the following link is a more accurate link to the post in that thread that he was probably intending.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7894&p=57142#p55853

If that is what John meant, or not but what I'm now looking at, that brings up something that I have seen before but I don't understand and have no explanation for.

In that post there is an attachment section at the end that looks normal. In it there are four jpg files. The first of these is:
IMG_4901a.JPG

For the normal symptom of these lost files I would expect to see that filename as a link. Then if I clicked on the link I would get a message that the file doesn't exist.

In this case it doesn't look like a link. If I hover my mouse pointer over a link in my browser I usually see a small box opening up that shows me the URL this item points to. In this case within an attachment box to Jon's post, there are no indications of a link. Everything in that attachment box (4 jpg image file names) looks to be just text descriptions, no link aspect to them.

Strange this one.

I don't think it fits the pattern of the "normal" lost files but I also have no explanation how it could have happened. Jon Rosenstiel who posted this message is in the group of members who are expected to have lost all of their uploaded attachments, but this particular message with attachments listed in a text box looking like links but not as actual links, is strange.

Any theories welcomed.
Rex Allers

Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:46 pm

John Futter & Rex,

Unfortunately, the circulation patterns images (along with some others) are not to be found. I believe they were lost to a computer crash some years back. Bummer.

Jon