I want to help fix fusor.net!! (join up listing)

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Rex Allers

Re: I want to help fix fusor.net!! (join up listing)

Post by Rex Allers » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:41 am

Here's a description of a method any user can employ to get their UserID number. It requires a little bit of manipulation (not a simple ask--get process). I worked this out myself. If anyone knows an easier way, please share.

I'll also give a way to find out a username if you have a UserID number.

For both of these you need to be logged-in to the forum first.

---
1) Get your own user id.
After logging-in to the forum, look in the upper-right corner for your user name. Click it to get a short pull-down list. Click on 'Profile' to open your profile page.

The next part may depend on the browser you are using.

When you are on your profile page, most browsers will have the address box at the top filled with the URL that got you to your profile page. In my case it was:

Code: Select all

https://fusor.net/board/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2597
On different browser that I tried on an Android tablet it showed a page title rather than the URL. I found there was a globe icon to the left of the address box. Clicking that changed the display to the URL.

If you can't get the URL from the browser screen, there may be another way. In my browser I found that if I click my username to get the pull-down list where Profile is one choice, I can then right-click with the cursor over the 'Profile' choice. A box of options opens up and one of them is 'Copy link location'. If I click that I can open a text file in an editor and paste the copied link into it. The result is the same URL as shown above.

Once you have this URL you need to find the portion in it that says '&u=' the number after that is your UserID. From the above URL it said:
&u=2597 -- so 2597 is my user ID number.

---
2) Getting a username for some user ID number.
Let's look at an example from the list I posted earlier. Using one where I already found the user name, let's look at:
81,Carl Willis

Assume we only had the UserID of 81.

We need to build a URL that takes us to this user's profile. We will start with this generic beginning of that URL for fusor.net:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=

To make the full URL we just need to add the ID number after the &u= at the end, so the full URL becomes:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=81

If I put that in the address bar of the browser and hit enter, it takes me to the profile page for Carl Willis.

You need to be logged-in first to get to the profile, or you will get a page telling you to log-in.

So to summarise:
Use --

Code: Select all

https://fusor.net/board/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=
and add the user ID number at the end to make the full URL.
Rex Allers

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Rex thanks for you great work on this. As you probably noticed, you now have editing and some other features on the site. Maybe there is more to be learned from all of this.

The backups well before the migration had a portion of the attachments missing. Only from one of the files folders. There was no way to detect the problem at that time. MT only had one week of backups which would have done us no good.

To complicate matters, our backups did not have the one files folder in them for some reason. We still do not know why as every backup that we have taken included all text and data files. This should have included all attachments but it did not.

I think we are resigned to manually replacing where we can. From your list, at least one or two of those members are no longer with us so they are lost forever. Really sad.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:20 am

I made another version of my list of members who's attachment files were lost. I made it as a pdf so it would view with nicely formatted columns but a bit more accessible to everyone than a spreadsheet.

In this one I sorted the users in order of most lost files to least. I also looked up the user names for these user IDs so it is much easier to see if you are on this list. I stopped doing that when I got down to 5 or fewer missing files.

If you don't see yourself in this list, you still could have lost attachments. As per earlier info I provided, if your user ID has a first digit of 4 or greater any attachments you made before the site move (mid-2019) were probably lost. In an earlier post here I described how you can find your user ID number.
Attachments
Users by missing-count.pdf
Users sorted by number of lost files
(21.21 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Rex Allers

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 am

It seems logical that the FAQs should be highest priority for trying to fix the lost attachment files problem.

Using Andrew R's spreadsheet list of missing files, I tried to extract the forum ID and cut the list down to just the missing files in the FAQs forums.

I'm attaching that list as a PDF sorted first by User ID and secondarily by forum ID.

The 'User Filename' (original filename as uploaded) got truncated if there was a space in it. So the one that says 'Vac' would possibly be 'Vac [something more].jpg'.

The links in the PDF should be clickable. However, as I shared with John F in an earlier post...
It should almost be sure to get you to the thread, but in my experience it may not be the correct post message in that thread. The last part of the link like:
"#p832121" is the id number of the post. In my trying-it experiments, if that post isn't in the first page of browser results for the forum "f=" and thread "t=", it will show you the first post in the thread rather than take you to your exact post. Just something to be aware of. I could say more about that but maybe TMI.

Here are the main user IDs in this list...
58 Richard Hull
67 Jon R
81 Carl W
99 Starfire (?)

In other posts I have described ways to deal with User IDs.

And here is the translation of Forum ID numbers
42 Fusion and Fusor Theory FAQs
24 Fusor Construction and Operation FAQs
25 Vacuum Technology FAQs
29 High Voltage FAQs
31 Radiation and Neutron Detection FAQs
30 Ion Gun FAQs

I think Richard may have already fixed a lot of the things in this list. Hopefully this list still might help those wanting to fix this important stuff.

If I had the access that allowed Andrew Robinson to create the list I am working from (thanks for the great work) I would try to get the latest info before posting. But I don't. And I understand that a huge level of trust would be required to give that access.

PS, I just randomly tried one link in Richard's section of these FAQ missing files. It was the uploaded file "D1.JPG". When I looked it was a legitimate missing file. I'm not saying it is a high priority, but maybe going through this list might actually get the FAQs cleaner. As Richard has earlier shared about his repair work, the problem (while horrible) gave him an incentive to improve from what was there originally.
Probably, across the majority of the full forum's list, many files will just remain lost. For some, hopefully, an opportunity to make the best out of a bad situation.
Attachments
FAQ list work1.pdf
Missing Files within FAQ forums
(67.08 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Rex Allers

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:18 am

Wow! REX ...Thank You!.... Fabulous PDF! You identified every missing attachment in all the FAQs of mine in the FAQ forums, Vacuum, HV, and Radiation-neutrons! I have made all repairs based solely on your brilliant effort!

I hereby declare that 100% of my FAQs created by me in the Vacuum forum, the High voltage forum and the Radiation and Neutron forum fully restored with all diagrams, photos and charts. In some cases, I have made minor corrective or expanded re-writes in spots.

Rex, Could I prevail upon you to generate a PDF as above for user ID #58 for the other forums FAQs not covered above? Using your PDF, I spent a fast and productive 20 hours totally correcting the FAQs listed in this post.

All...Please note that with the combined efforts of the newly minted "senior users", we are slowly repairing the FAQs. Rex's effort has especially assisted me in the last two days to speed through a tough project.

We need to give maxim credit where maximum effort is apparent.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:45 am

Richard,
Thanks for the appreciation of my efforts to help sort out what needs fixing.

I think the attached PDF should be what you asked for. As before, the links should be clickable but might not always get you to the exact post.

I sorted by forum ID number and excluded the FAQ forums that were already in the last PDF.

Let me know if there is anything in this that is causing you troubles.

This should a pretty daunting task. There are about 650 files in this list.
Attachments
Richard H list 1.pdf
(208.72 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Rex Allers

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:36 am

Rex
thank you I have repaired all my posts that I still had the pics for only a very few from around 2004- 2006 are missing
It was fascinating as to how many posts I had made over the years

well done!!!!!!

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:02 am

John,

Thanks for the diligent work and the time required to find and repair all that you could.

I am in the portion of members who didn't have uploaded attachments lost. I'm glad I have enough spreadsheet skills to figure out a way to make a more usable list of lost attachments for individual members.

To:
Jon R and
Carl W

If you are reading this, you both have lots of missing files. Let me know if you want a customized missing files list like I made for John and Richard, let me know.

-Rex
Rex Allers

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 am

Rex, Thanks for the second listing of my missing materials in the other FAQs forums. Whew! Boy do I have to burn a lot more mid-might oil. I have made a micro dent in the old Construction FAQs.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Rex,
I've already pulled my missing file info out of Andrew's Excel list so I'm good to go, but I do thank you for the offer.

Jon Rosenstiel