Site Issues: Please Cease and Desist

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Site Issues: Please Cease and Desist

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 pm

As most of you know by now, we have been through – are still in the midst of – a very challenging time here at Fusor.net. The past few weeks maybe the most difficult period we have experienced in more than 20 years of continuous operation through numerous incarnations.

Metaphoricaly, here's what has happened in the past few months:

We have taken this rather large and complicated old house, uplifited it from its foundations (which means disconnecting all the plumbing, electrical and other utilities), loaded the old Victorian onto the bed of a truck and hauled it across town. Once arrived at the new destination we had to place it on a new foundation, then reconnect all the utilities – all while people are coming in and out of the house expecting to find snacks in the refrigerator.

The move has not gone as smoothly as our previous transitions. We have lingering issues that effect the operations and utility of the site.

Most notably, links to long-ago uploaded image and document files have been lost. In most cases the images and attachments are still there in their (relocated) original directories; It's just the thumbnails that aren't showing up in the posts. In other cases the stored document links are just delivering "not found" results.

Yeah, it's a mess. We know that. And if you don't think we are doing everything we possibly can to resolve the issues before they get any more complicated then you really aren't paying any attention or offering even a sliver of a benefit of the doubt.

So I am asking, with all due respect: Please, back off.

We need some breathing room.

Please stop hammering the site admins with Private Messages pressing your own personal axe re: what is wrong with the site or what needs fixing. We know it's broke. It's a quandary and a perplexing one at that.

Going forward, we have identified three possble solutions:

1. Find the programmatic solution, i.e. the glitch in the PHP scripts that is generating all the errors. We may need more expert assistance than is currently at our disposal, and I will be calling for the cavalry today.

2. If we cannot find a relatively simple programatic solution, then we have discussed making all of the unlinked files accessible in an external (i.e. Dropbox) folder and using that source to manually restore all the broken stuff over time.

3. The most dire solution would be to restore the site to the last known fully operative backup, which unfortunately would take us back to early August. That would mean that all the functionality is restored, but anything that has happened on the site for the past nearly 3 months would be lost. This is clearly the least desireable solution, but if it comes down to preserving 20 years of data and functionality (arguablly the most valuable public resource on fusion in the world today) -v- 3 months of recent input, then we might have to consider that.

The admins - Frank, Andrew and myself - feel like we may need another couple of weeks to get all this sorted out. Here is what we need from you all in the meantime:

1. Please don't make any more corrections or re-connects to "missing" files. That only complicates that task further. It's f'd up enough; Trying to fix it with individual efforts just adds another layer of f'd-up-ness that we then have to figure out how to un-f.

2. As mentioned above: please refrain from complaining publicly or privately to the admins about this dilemma. We are well aware of it and doing everythig we can to resolve it. If you have any constructive suggestions, then I will ask you to post them here, in replies to this post. We are open to constructive suggestions but please....

3. No more PMs and no kvetching elsewhere in the forums.

Does that sound reasonable?

I certainly hope it does.

Let us not lose sight of what we have created here. We have created a global resource of people of all ages and backgrounds and levels of expertise who not only conjecture about the future potential for fusion energy, but are experimenting with it daily and have built a vast database of practical knowledge on the subject – and all for nominal expense while the scientific establishment is wasting billions and billions of dollars on whirling mangnetic donuts.

So we've hit a glitch. Yes, it's a daunting challenge, unlike anything we've encountered after several similar relocations. Just give us some time to sort it out, please.

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Bob Reite

Re: Site Issues: Please Cease and Desist

Post by Bob Reite » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:33 pm

I still think the issue is that the directory for where the photos and files live somehow got changed. New postings since the move all work correctly, since they now go to where phpBB expects them to be now. It is only postings made before the move that have the missing photos and files.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Just wanted to post a little thank you for all the hard work that's being put in, this is a tremendous library of information and it clearly takes a lot of work to maintain. As a student hoping to learn and eventually fuse some atoms I really appreciate the time and effort that is volunteered to keep this website running.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:22 am

Thank you Nicolas. That feedback and encouragement is much appreciated.

Though it doesn't look like much is happening, and those older images and attachments continue to be MIA, trust me, we're scrambling in the background to figure out what went wrong. The cavalry is coming...

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."