unusual posting results

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

unusual posting results

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 am

I replied twice tonight and upon hitting the "submit button", I am thrown back to the intro page with a notice that It could not find what I was looking for with a search line offered. Hitting the forums button got me back to the forums. I checked and the reply was received and posted just fine.

Has anyone been altering something at the head end?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: unusual posting results

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Yes, it is I.

The site had a monstrous over charge again this month in the hundreds of dollars. Two files seem to be the cause of it. I have been working on those two to keep them working entirely properly but not running endlessly.

Still working on it so there may be some phantom glitches on the site through Monday but it should not affect posting.

richnormand

Post by richnormand » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:01 pm

On login: "could not find..."

Same thing just happened to me.
Sat 20, 2:58 EDT

Clicked on the forum bar in the main site and all is OK.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:55 am

I had the same thing happened. Logged in and got the fusor.net "404" page. Clicking the "forum" link got me to the "logged in" state as if nothing had gone wrong.

This happened both with logging in and posting to a message.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 am

If Frank or anyone else fixes the rising costs due to overage claims, and is forced to leave this annoyance, I can live with the new inconvenience. For as all note, just a click on the fusion forums in the top banner in the error page and log on page, will make everything OK.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 pm

It appears that nothing we have done has prevented the overages. While we have made a good impact, the numbers still do not look good. Paul was hit with a $308 overage above the monthly fee this past month.

The good news and the bad news and the good news.

The good news is that the site gets a huge amount of search engine and source look ups because of the content and the reputation.

The bad news is that it puts us more and more over the number of hits that the site takes. Media Temple does not have another hosted product to fix the problem.

The good news is that on Friday Paul, Andrew, and I are having a conference call to move the site either to another hosting service that does not bill based on GPUs or to a dedicated server. We will be weighing the pros and cons to moving the site forward. I am not really looking forward to another move but I am not seeing another way at this point.

More when we make a decision.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:49 pm

I am with Frank, The thought of moving is not a good feeling. That is just the "thought" though........If, in actuality, we must move, the "act" of moving would be monumental to those 3 good shepherds required to maintain not only functionality and completeness in the transfer, but the oversight of all the early tweaks needed to guide this move into long term stability. In addition, the overall look and feel would most likely take a bit of getting used to by some posters, both old and new.

If the decision to move is made, I am sure the progenitor and his two shepherds will ask a lot of more hard nosed questions of the provider related to traffic and what would be billed for if we sign on to their platform. I worry that all providers would want to bill for any and all peeking and poking of the forums by any entity. Billing based on activity of only signed on qualified users or people hitting the joining page would be preferable as opposed to charging the site for every simple look-see probes by casual outsiders.

This would grant true billing by supportive users activities and folks seeking to actually join with a password. This would leave the site open sourced to all for info, but leaving casual, inquisitive readers unable to post or comment or use the site for active queries without joining.

Richard Hull

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:33 pm

I've moved phpBB installations before and it's not all that difficult. Done correctly, users won't see a change at all, except that if you don't want to lose any posts, you'll need to have some downtime. That can be minimal as you do the install on the new server (test by putting it in a subdomain, e.g. "beta.fusor.net"), then put the old server in maintenance mode, do a mysqldump on the data base while it can't be written to during the dump, then import the dump file into MySQL on the new box. Once that's done and tested, point DNS for "fusor.net" to the new box.

If you have been with the existing hosting company for a long time you may well find that they are no longer competitive. You might even tell the old company that "I can get XXXX for YYYY $ from a competitor, can you match it? Else we are leaving at the end of our contract."
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:10 am

Bob, you are correct. Moving a phpbb site is not very difficult. Unfortunately, it is nested within a WordPress site. All of the files are intertwined within the WP structure. This makes is a pain to even do anything on the phpbb platform because the change also triggers a WP change.

I am NOT looking forward to it since the last one. It is literally weeks to get it tweaked into place. Even if we convince Paul not to have it within a WP site, I am not exactly sure how to deconvolute the structure to get it to stand alone again. Oh, the humanity!

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:19 am

It is the way of technology to move ever forward making old efforts worthless. If such efforts were huge and deeply invested in a particular once wonderful superstructure, it is now laughed at with zero to only marginal transferability. You are screwed or looking at a herculean effort that will leave the floor littered with old pizza boxes, half empty bags of chips with the room and part of the home smelling of B.O. and stale beer. If completely successful in transfer to this latest wonderment, the clock is ticking as the "feature creature" is already on the prowl as hundreds of programmers are working on the new thing waiting in the wings to descend from Mount Olympus to be hailed by the multitudes.

There is an app for that isn't there??? It is the "cryin' in yer beer" app.

Richard Hull