The Occasional Fusor.net Fund Raiser - 2019 Edition

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: The Occasional Fusor.net Fund Raiser - 2019 Edition

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 am

Here's the guts of the message from Media Temple.

DETAILS:
-----------------------------------------
-- Server domain name: (cohesionarts.com)
-- Service plan: ((gs) Grid-Service)
-- Current period: (02/19/2019 - 03/18/2019)
-- Purchased amount is: (2000.00GPU)
-- Projected overage is: (1498.00GPU)
-- Current Overage Rate: $0.10 per GPU
-- Projected Overage Amount: $149.80

It's not a calendar month, and it's a projection based on current use, which includes the recent spike. The final result in 14 days could be quite less.
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:48 am

Paul,

Hopefully will have a solution here soon to reduce future overages. Waiting to hear back from Frank. Obviously we can't change anything about the current charges, but I think we have a few tricks that will solve this problem for now.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:50 am

Well see if those projections even hold up. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thanks,

—PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:21 am

This is the "Jackson Oswalt peak" no doubt about it. His three different stories hit the media in early to late Feb. We always experience these types of sporadic news media hype blasts of new people not only joining but also just hitting the site to see what all this is about. I believe it is the Fox news blurb on TV that really pushed the envelope through the roof.

We are experiencing a lot of very young people here and claiming to want to do fusion. We all know that almost none of them will succeed due to any number of issues that we have come to observe over the years. We realize that the desire to succeed and the following failure is as common as the sea sickness. Failure to actually do fusion here is the absolute norm.

Notice, of late, the overage usage has flat lined. Attention spans of the people and newsy stuff placed before the public is hyper-ephemeral.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:28 am

Really good point Richard!!! Had not considered that as the primary source of the traffic increase.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:31 am

I just added a bit more to my posting.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Some points to clarify.

1. The chart flattens on March 5th because there is no data beyond today (yesterday).
2. The GPU usage does spike when various news stories come out. They are usually only a few days but can put us over for a given month.
3. The overage is typically double our standard usage.
4. The standard usage is very close to the limit of GPU usage and on any given typical month we could be a little over or a little under that number.
5. The number of "hits" being reported on the site does not seem to make any sense to me when compared to other sites that I run. It is showing between a half a million to one million hits per month.

6. My google console for the site is only showing a couple hundred hits a day. Even with the spike there has only been 26,123 search hits in the last 30 days. Graph is attached. Normally there are around 6,000 clicks in each 30 day period.

Using some math, that would mean that for a million pages to be parsed, each person on the forum AND every person clicking here from Google would be reading 150 topics a month. I just do not find that believable based on our traffic and the low number of new posts a day.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 10.20.34 AM.png