Doug Coulter

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
billwcf

Doug Coulter

Post by billwcf » Sat May 08, 2021 3:34 pm

It is with great sorrow I announce the passing of Doug Coulter in the wee hours of Thurday May the 6th. As you know Doug had been battling Non small cell lung cancer. None of us thought Doug would leave us this soon. He had unbearable pain in his bones as the cancer had metastasized, but he somehow managed to carry on. I will write more later. I intend to keeping Coultersmithing.com running as long as I can, but his provider may shut it down due to an outdated version of PHP. I am trying to figure out how to make a complete copy of the site. I suggest that if you have a particular subject from the board that you are interested in, that you try to make a copy of that part for yourself. Of particular interest is Doug's tutorial on making high voltage feed throughs. Many of Dougs videos are still available on youtube under Dcfusor. If you have paid a youtube premium you can download them for safe keeping. I intend to reach out to another board member for his help with the site. I also have possesion of Doug's fusor and intend to run it with another board member and try a few things maybe Doug did not. We are also going to try to recreate Doug's accidental exposure run, but at a safe distance. Doug automated the fusor so we could run it from a control room many feet away. Grown men don't cry, but I did. Doug has been a great friend for close to 14 years. Thank You. -Bill Fain

Jim Kovalchick

Re: Doug Coulter

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sat May 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Bill,
Please accept my condolences for your personal loss. I didn't know Doug well, but I'm grateful for various electronic exchanges we had mostly to the benefit of my education.

I always appreciated his DIY style and especially his outside the box thinking. It was always inspiring.

Thank you for sharing the sad news.

Kind regards,

Jim Kovalchick

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat May 08, 2021 5:18 pm

That is a tragedy. I am sorry Bill and everybody else that knew Doug and called him a friend or mentor or any of another number of adjectives. I did not know it would be so quick.

A little over a month ago, Doug and I had an in depth discussion on many things. One was the forum and what would happen with it. We discussed succession planning. I had told him that most the were on his site was to follow him and his work. That it would not be the same place without him in an active way but passively, it contains a wealth of information.

I think he wanted me involved it in but I was a little hesitant to take on full responsibility for another site now and forever more. With that said, I pledge my full support to do what needs to be done to keep his site up. Bill, I can help with the backup and updates to the site to keep it going. I do not know when his hosting account and domain name expire so I would assume time is off the essence so I would not delay. Email or call me and we can figure this out. Until then. RIP Doug. you are gone too soon.

Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 pm

Bill,
I'm so sorry to hear of Doug's passing, my condolences to all. Just yesterday I was thinking about an experiment Doug had done... wow, life is too short.

Jon Rosenstiel

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm

Very sad to hear Bill. My sincerest condolences. I’ve been following his posts on his website and it didn’t seem like things would happen this soon.

Doug has been a great scientific resource, a fun character, and will undoubtedly be missed by all. Most recently I had the enjoyable project of recreating his microwave ion-source. If it wasn’t for his detailed explanation it’s doubtful I could’ve done it. I’m sure there are many others who have equally benefited from his research. Rest In Peace Doug

Mark Rowley

billwcf

Post by billwcf » Sat May 08, 2021 10:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind words. He was still working on projects ,despite the pain, literally, until his dying day. Bill

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sun May 09, 2021 12:51 am

Thanks for letting us know Bill
A sad day indeed. I enjoyed my short stay with Doug before
HEAS one year and we made good progress on the beast hitting low 30 million neutrons /s for a short while till things got too hot. A lot of our time taken checking calibration of various neutron detectors against his last bubble detector

A few weeks later Doug hit Gonzo mode and wasn't too well for quite a while afterwards./ I kept in regular touch via the web site and Googles Hangouts video conferencing system that seems to have gone.
Bill thanks for all you have done for Doug by regularly checking on him and supplying excellent scrounged material for the project and of course thank you for picking me up from the Richmond airport and driving me down to Doug's ( quite a few hours drive) and then picking me up again on the Friday ready for HEAS

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 am

What a blow to the amateur fusion community. Doug was a staple and I know had a strong friend in Bill and am sorry for the loss both to Bill, personally, and the fusion community as a whole. Doug lived a rustic and active life. He gave of himself at every turn and helped many others over the years. I hope the forum that he started can be kept going as Bill hopes with the help of friends of the board locally and remotely. Doug did a lot of great work that is to be admired and, hopefully, saved for posterity. A sad day indeed.

All of us old guys will also pass in the fullness of time. Nothing and no one gets out of life alive. It is more a pity, still, to see valued people pass away, both friends and family.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Alex Aitken

Post by Alex Aitken » Mon May 10, 2021 12:31 am

Very sad to hear of Doug passing. My heart goes out to those that knew him.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Mon May 10, 2021 5:12 am

Sad news, indeed.

I have made a bit longer post on the Coulter forum.

Here's one line I wrote there:
RIP Doug, my remote internet friend and guru.
Rex Allers

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”