Not a covid post! Get ready for the vacuum

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Not a covid post! Get ready for the vacuum

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:33 am

First, once 'free' via vaccination I would think that people interested in fusor's and/or even building these devices would likely be more inclinded! Being able to get out and get items should help encourage people to get their projects past the thinking stage and get to the construction phase.

For me it will be the warming weather as well as the reduced risks that will get me back on track; i'm still can't decide on getting my new fusor finished (just need to finish my high voltage feed-thru) or building an ion gun system like some havealready done (and get back to my orginal experimental roots.) I still have a massive acedemic project on-going that eats up a lot of my free time (trying to learn field theory and GR) but besides real work (that pays the bills!) I really would like to use my new experimental work shead for real rather than just a simple place to store all my fusor related lab equipment.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:15 am

We've always had a "spring break" followed by a "summer lapse" to a greater or lesser extent. Winter is the best time for us, as a rule. Folks are climate trapped in the best of times during winter. With nothing being available in spring or summer that fusioneers can't get via mail to assemble fusors in winter, only hamfests and tech flea markets can source goods needed in good weather. I fear, as Bob notes, hamfests will not be back in 2021. However I do believe that all hamfest will return, ultimately. I doubt any will forever succumb lest the local ham radio club dies as most hamfests are organized and sponsored by them. We all know hams love to ham it up together. They started the venue and only they can end it.

My focus on this thread was that there might be a prolonged vacuum when the big breakout occurs. I am beginning to wonder if there will be a big breakout, but more of a prolonged, listless slide of ever lessening agony as things improve. This might just make the fusor.net vacuum more or less acute. The more I muse over it, this thing might not have a classic on-off switch. Perhaps we will wind up with a potentiometer action. The question is, will that pot be log or linear tapper.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Laughing at the reference to linear or log taper pots.

While the classic big hamfests such as the Hamcation, Hamvention and Ham-Com will not take place this year, smaller local fests may start up this Summer. I'm hoping so, I got a lot of electronic stuff in the garage, that I'd rather sell to a hobbyist than take to e-waste recycling, but the pile is getting out of hand.

I used the latest stimulus check to buy a TIG welder. Now I got to make room for it, as well as run a 50A 240V line to operate it.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:40 am

Richmond has a micro fest in September (10 vendors other than me) and it is held at the local Masonic temple parking lot. It was held last year and was the only event around in VA. I only go to 4 or 5 major hamfests each year (100+ vendors) VA, NC, MD. As of this moment, all through July are pre-canceled!

When I built my lab as an addition to my home in 1989, we had the power company pull a new 200 amp line to the house. 100 for the house and 100 for the lab. I was running two 14,400 volt pole pigs in reverse at one time for tesla coiling. Later, I settled on one. When the Tesla work ended in 1999, the pole pigs were sold and the 240 line now powers my MIG and, then new 175 amp Lincoln TIG welders bought specifically for my fusor building effort.

Most fusor labs are garage space conversions, which is superb. other have been built in apartments, bed rooms and even living rooms! Few are the aficionados who build a building specifically as a lab only edifice regardless of their scientific exploration.

My first lab was built in 1958 by my grandfather for me to mostly keep me from being "under-foot" in his large shop. (Born in 1890, he was a stern man of few words when children were to be seen and not heard). From a very young age he taught me to use, clean and respect tools.

Freeing himself of my bother, he built a very sturdy and suitable 10X12 foot building in our backyard. I used it as a combo chem lab (rockets) and electronics lab. My grandfather even band sawed individual letters "Test Laboratory" and nailed them by the door. A15 amp extension cord suspended in mid-air between his shop and my lab provided power. My first lab was heated by a tiny cast iron, pot-bellied, coal stove in winter. I used that little lab all the way through college, until I left for service in the Air Force. When I came home, my grandfather had passed away. Still living at home, my grandmother gave me the full use of his big shop. I used it for the two years that I lived at home, getting myself established with a good job and marrying. It took me only 5 more years with my wife as apartment dwellers to buy our current 1-1/2 story home. The entire finished upstairs became my new lab. Lathe, drill press, 4 workbenches all electronic and hobby, etc. The big lab of today was built 10 years after buying our home. I still have two labs at home. I have very rarely been without a formal, personal lab space my entire life. Take my word, they are the ultimate man-cave.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.