Coronavirus pandemic

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:50 am

It is odd that as we are often exhorted to defund the police, we are inexorably moving toward a police state seeking to violate the constitutional rights granted all true fee men here! 1984 is now 2020. There is a tendency towards acceptance of a well defined bad speak and bad think making free men outcasts for wrong think or wrong speak.

As I note....This ain't the calm settled world I grew up in. The Commie menace was our big mean fear for the bulk of life. When we lost the Commies, we had to whip up great new fears as we love and secretly seek out new fears. Global warming, rising seas, future energy issues, multiple little cute localized wars, genocides among tribal nations as they kill each other, asteroid fears with the realization that it is not a matter of if, but when, global virus releases, pandemics, super volcanos over due from cyclic eruptions, Nuclear arming of rogue, unstable states, weakening magnetic field of the planet, rapid and steady movement of the north polar magnetic field towards Siberia, failing educational systems that more money will never fix....You name it, we gotta' fear for you that suits your need for a boogey man. Never fear, we have a fresh fear arriving daily for you to choose from. After all, your old favorite fear may be nothing compared to a new and more exciting fear that is just around the bend and headed at you like a freight train.

I am not against masks I am against forcing me to wear one all the time when in the fresh air outdoors when around friends and family. When governors, presidents or any official tell people that they face arrest for practicing there right to worship, the rights of all free men are negated at the whim of the police state and often a single person in power over all.

I know that other people are filthy rabble and when in their presence I wear my mask out of caution and not fear for they are merely ships of unknown quantities moving about me in this current "proclaimed" darkness.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:25 am

Two weeks out from HEAS and no covid from the event. That's nice. Another great year!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 pm

First, that is really outstandingly good news that there are no reports of illness after HEAS!

On a more sobering front, Covid causing short and possibly long term organ damage in some people is a serious and on going issue that is poorly understood or simply not being looked for in a serious manner by most MD's. The results obtained for a group of young and previously healthy people (no previous risk factors) that were still having symptoms after the standard illness or were hospitialized due to the virus were studied in detail. While the report does not give numbers for the risk to the general population (this factor isn't being tracked by any medical groups like the CDC), for those requiring medical intervention and still exhibiting symptoms (note: a biased group selected) the numbers are very high - 70% show multiple organ damage. So, while this problem may be uncommon for most who recover (or not uncommon: this aspect of the illness is really not known due to lack of studies), it appears to be a major issue for anyone that suffers longer term. This development of Covid illness very much needs to be looked for by the medical community.

Unlike the 'common' cold, this virus has some really deadly side effects that even young people need to consider. Of course, this is worse for older people and has made this virus cause the very high death rates being observed for Covid-19 and why this virus must be taken extremely seriously by all people no matter their age or previous health history.

Here is the medical article: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Conclusion: wearing a mask in public is critical to reduce both the total death toll (here we are talking that at least 60K lives would have been saved to date! That dwarf's 9-11) and reduce its spread.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:16 am

In a 'study' of people at a hospital and had Covid-19 those who took aspirin were 44% less likely to be placed in the intensive care unit, 44% less likely to be hooked up to a mechanical ventilator, and 47% less likely to die compared to hospitalized patients who were not taking aspirin, according to the study, published Thursday in the journal “Anesthesia and Analgesia.”

Normally I avoid single studies that do not include a placebo group; however, the methodology of action of aspirin makes perfect sense to why it would most likely dramaticly reduce deaths and serious medical side effects in very ill Covid-19 patients. Blood clots caused by the Covid virus in the blood stream is the biggest danger for most people - aspirin reduces the clotting ability of platelets - this mechanism by aspirin on clotting is welll understood (however, the virus might compromise this action so this might not be the actual reason.) Do note that these people were, of course, taking the 'baby' size dose. These results are priminary and have not been put through the "Gold Standard" test, so this study could be wrong or the resuilts due to other factors - not highly likely but possible. In all things, caution towards intial results is essential. Read the results and draw your own conclusion.

See: https://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-ana ... 95423.aspx

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:22 pm

As mask's appear to be effective in preventing people from getting ill, there is more support that masks also enable people that do get ill, to get a very mild level of illness. Again, this is certainly NOT scientific proof but it certainly provides strong evidence that mask wearing offers a wide range of benifits regardless.

The following is taken from an article on falling death rates for Covid even as infections continue (and are getting worse.)

"Masks can prevent many infections altogether, as was seen in health care workers when we moved to universal masking. We're also saying that masks, which filter out a majority of viral particles, can lead to a less severe infection if you do get one, said Gandhi. 'If you get infected, but have no symptoms – that's the best way you can ever get a virus.

The study compared outbreaks on two cruise ships in the winter. In February, 18% of 634 people who tested positive aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan were asymptomatic. But a cruise ship in Argentina, where workers handed out surgical masks to all passengers and N95 masks to all staff after the first passenger tested positive, had an 81% asymptomatic rate among 128 people who tested positive.

Likewise, as hundreds of food processing plant workers died from the coronavirus, plants that distributed masks to workers saw high asymptomatic rates. A seafood processing plant in Oregon and a Tyson chicken processing plant in Arkansas had 95% asymptomatic rates among hundreds of infections after giving workers masks.

Gandhi said that public health agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention should stress these findings along with the current messaging that wearing a mask prevents asymptomatic people from spreading the virus to others.

We messaged that mask wearing will protect other people, and that did not seem to convince our country as much as we would have hoped," she said. "If you think something's going to help you or your family, you are going to do it more than if you think you're helping others."

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:57 am

Now that Covid-19 is swelling into a third massive wave here in the U.S. causing record levels of illness now and no vaccine is yet available, taking steps to better your odds of avoiding this rapidly spreading virus is essential. As such, this latest article might help in that regard (the very least, the 'common' flu vaccine is extremely useful to get.)

"A Flu Shot Might Reduce Coronavirus Infections, Early Research Suggests" (see SciAm article, below.)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -suggests/

Do understand that this is NOT scientific proof but getting a flu shot is important in its own right - so even if not helpful for Covid-19 this is essential to do for your health anyway. But just maybe it will reduce the chance to get a deadly virus like Covid-19, too. Regular flu does kill too and is a very unpleasent illness to endure, in any case.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Dennis,
Not to argue with you on your overall premise, but your remark about record levels of covid 19 illness is potentially misleading if not untrue. While data for number of cases per day is up, the number deaths is not. In fact, the deaths per day is below 1k and is not far above that in a bad flu season.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:09 pm

What I said was the number of Covid-19 cases are at record levels - absoultly accurate. It is most cerrtainly not in any manner missleading.

While I never said anything about death rates in this post, please read my previous posts where I addressed that issue. Your comparison to flu is extremely inaccurate - no flu seasn in many years has killed people at the rate Covid-19 is killing. The deaths to date (and climbing at a terrible rate) have been 220,000 dead! Just this number is well above any flu season In my lifetime (a really bad flu season can kill upwards of about 60k. Most flu seasons far less.)

Your statement that the death rate is under 1K a day is correct (but the flu never kills at that level); you think that is acceptable! That is outragous level of daily deaths. The weekly death rate is what is generally posted: see the CDC (link below) and while it varies, it has been between 1100 to 1800 per week the last few weeks just for Covid (yes, early on it was as high as 14 k/wk). I will say the deaths for one week (the latest and not nec. all data) is under 1 k but thatdoesn't change the weekly average that we have been seeing all October and while I will not predict exactly how many will die this week, it certainly isn't going to be much under 1 K (but I wish it would be and what you incorrectly posted was, in fact, true - that this only killed at the rate of the common flu. Also, if we only lived in the world with someone in charge that did managed to get the death rates significantly under 1 K per week or just at the levels of the worst flu.)

See:https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 pm

The more cases of covid, the faster this thing is done, leaving the dead and the healthy in it wake. Due to increased testing , we see more cases. I firmly believe this has been the hidden case all along. We just could not test at the current rate which is fast and furious. Undulating cases of same, same, same. What peak!? Deaths fairly flat.

We are just part of the animal life on this planet and just like all natural processes, the weak in the herd are thinned due to any number of causative agents. Many deaths are due to man, himself, In this case a manufactured or monkeyed with deadly disease. Those dying are the weak and infirmed whether wearing masks or not, whether others about them are wearing masks or not. We just have gotta' wait this one out. Say a prayer for the dead and those who are yet to die and move out like you got a pair. Make your own decisions based solely on your own will as a free spirit and person, not letting others call your tune or direct you in any manner whatsoever.

The hard and exact science of physics promised us fusion for years and.... nothing. Medial science is not nearly as exact. It looks over a vast and ever variable population for which only a general stability might be assumed, yet, never warranted. Medical science expects deaths and accepts them, albeit begrudgingly, as it makes them look bad in its worst manifestations. Accept what they say as a well considered suggestion and not as extensive, predictive outcome based on science. Medicine ain't physics! People are medicine's quanta, unpredictable in any unit study and even physics has its limits when working at the quantum level.

In the end, all science aside, fend for yourself, you are all you have at your disposal. Others, by human nature, will want you to agree with them and follow them, be they divinely guided or totally delusional.

Richard Hull

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 pm

I have been patient with this thread because it is extraordinary times with COVID. There continues to be a recurrent theme targeting the person in charge of our country and a lack of leadership has created this problem. Well the facts say something different than this opinion.

Look at the UK, Italy, France, Germany, Sweden and other countries and compare it to the US. ALL of them and most others are following a multiple phase wave of infections. It surges and wanes as the infections take hold. It is waning less as people are no longer huddled in their houses.

The EXACT same peaks and some much worse than the US are happening in most countries of the world. No amount of regulation, short of closing an entire country and keeping people in their houses can stop this pandemic. Nothing has worked for any country on the earth except ones that are lucky enough to be very small, sparsely populated, and isolated from international travel.

Probably the biggest problem with this pandemic is that it is not severe enough for the masses to continue to stay homebound. You can bet if it were Ebola, times would be different and it would be ugly for the people and for the economies of the world.

This virus is super infectious and unstoppable by reasonable methods. No amount of leadership of any country can bound this disease at this point. As I said months ago, that spread was inevitable. What we are seeing now is not an increase in infections everywhere. They are new pockets where people have not taken reasonable precautions. It is a roving pandemic that finds new places and faces to spread. My city is currently at a low in cases while at the other end of the state it is soaring. The averages look bad but they are not everywhere the same in the US or in other countries of the world.