Vacuum Technology and Coatings magazine - August issue

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Vacuum Technology and Coatings magazine - August issue

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Steve Hansen of his "Bell Jar" publication fame is now a columnist for the above publication and is doing an article on amateur vacuum history. In the June issue he covered the classic Scientific American, Amateur Scientist column of the past in which numerous amateur projects involved vacuum systems. I had an article in a late 1990s Bell Jar publication on how to make a fusor.

For the August issue of this industry wide magazine, he is doing his column on "what's going on now in amateur vacuum". He asked me to write a quick 300 word synopsis of the fusor vacuum use in the quest to do amateur fusion. I have complied and he has accepted my missive. He also requested a few images of the trail from demo to fusion, plus a single plus ultra system image of the classic fusor. I have just submitted those images and he liked them.

This is a heads up for those who have access to this industry journal. I doubt this will generate many, if any newbies as this is an industry professional magazine going to folks in the "biz".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Re: Vacuum Technology and Coatings magazine - August issue

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm

Congratulations on the contributions to the article, Richard! Getting out more and real world information is always helping; even just as a reference article for people to read.

Rich Feldman

Re: Vacuum Technology and Coatings magazine - August issue

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Yay for Richard!

I'm another old fart who grew up with the Amateur Scientist columns. Along with various gas-filled lasers and x-ray stuff, one memorable project was a sputtering system for coating telescope mirrors. High schooler Gary Settles presented his supersonic wind tunnel, whose brief flows ran from atmosphere into an evacuated water heater tank. He went on to an academic career featuring schlieren imaging of fluid flows.

Maybe the VT&C editors would be interested in contemporary DIY sputtering work, for example by Ian Krase. A building down the street, where I used to work in the 1990's, is now occupied by a company called Meivac. They make industrial sputtering systems, etc. Now I'm eager to see how big their advertisements are in this VT&C of which you speak.
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.