Used ionization gauge looks burnt out?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
RobertMendelsohn

Used ionization gauge looks burnt out?

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Hello,

I am looking to buy an apparatus that includes this used hot filament ionization gauge (picture attached). It seems a bit burnt out, and seems to be missing the silvery getter typical of these gauges.
Does this look OK to the veteran ion gauge users on this forum, or should I plan on replacing it? Only use will tell, but I would appreciate any advice/opinions/speculations anyone has.

Sincerely,

Robert
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.53.50 AM.png
Maciek Szymanski

Re: Used ionization gauge looks burnt out?

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

It's hard to see on the photo if the filament is burned or not. But as long as the filament is not damaged the gauge should work. The deposits on the glass envelope are normal especially if used with oil pumps. I never seen the bayard-alpert gauge with a getter. Do not forget to outgass the gauge before taking the readings, one that was exposed to the air for a long time may be miss-reading by few orders of magnitude until properly outgassed.
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Likwise no Getter in an ion gauge. Sealed vacuum tubes, yes. I'll go along with Maciek, I am not able to determine by the image you provide if the filament is intact. The normal reason ion gauges are found loose is burned out fils.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
RobertMendelsohn

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Thank you all! Yes, it now makes sense that a gauge would not have a getter, since it would be regularly brought up to atmosphere. I'm going to take a gamble on it. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Robert
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As I tell anyone buying electronic equipment; if the seller allows returns (two weeks min.) then its worthwhile considering; if not, don't ever buy from them. Of course, ask if tested and/or working. Not that that is essential if they allow returns. Testing is simple (even w/o vacuum.) Use an ohm meter for continuity on the filament. Note how it couples to the vacuum system - that appears to use copper gaskets (but can be converted to 0-ring use.) Many ion gauges have two filaments (one is a backup) - both should work.

Return to “New User Chat Area”