d-t fusion

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
byron addams

d-t fusion

Post by byron addams »

Has aneyone tried putting lithium into a fusor with deuterium gass to generate tritium and make d-t fusion.
Trying to keep the magic smoke from getting out.
Jim Kovalchick

Re: d-t fusion

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Tritium is made in a fusor with d d fusion. The amount is less than trivial. Trying to make tritium out of lithium would be no more significant. Besides, even if you could make enough tritium to use a you describe, it would likely be illegal.
byron addams

Post by byron addams »

I dont think it would be ilegal as you can buy those glowing tritium vials. And the way that tritium is created usualy in a fusion reactor is by haveing a lithium blanket that releases tritium as it is bombarded with neutrons. Usualy this is not enough for the 1:1 ratio of deuterium and tritium that gives out the most power so they some sort of device that colects the residual tritium colected by whe vacuum pumps and feed it back into the reactor. but for an amature fusor you should be able to see some sort of power increce from the extera tritium. i was thinking of useing some lithium foil like what is found in Li-ion bateries becauls you can buy it on roals online.
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Byron,
If you have this all figured out then proceed away, but if you wish to take the advice of folks who may know some things then maybe you should be more cautious when contradicting.

In one of my past career lives I was a regulatory manager whose job it was to answer questions like whether or not it's legal to make and possess your own tritium. Your response about your ability to possess some item that glows as some kind of legal justification illustrates that your knowledge is shallow. The possession and use of radioactive materials in the US is not a free for all. There are general and specific license requirements that you apparently have no knowledge of. No one on this forum has ever done tritium fusion research outside a licensed lab because no one is going to give a private citizen a license to fiddle with it. period. Please refer to the code of federal regulations. There is a lot to it than many do not understand. For example, you can own a watch with radium painted hands, but did you know that you need a license to work on the same watch?

My point about the legal aspects is still a mute point as I previously stated. You will never be able to produce enough tritium with a fusor to detect d-t fusion events. You already produce a triton for every neutron that is produced. We do not see d-t fusions from by product tritium because the chances of it happening are super rare because there is so little tritium produced. Even if could you convert all your neutrons to tritium with your lithium lining, you will just double your tritium. The tritium will be no more of a significant target for d-t fusion events than it is in a regular fusor. Do the math on just how little tritium that is relative to the cross section of the reaction.

The only way you will get d-t fusion to happen in a fusor is to inject tritium fuel to increase the macroscopic cross section. You will need a license to do that. Good luck with that.
byron addams

Post by byron addams »

Ok i did not realise that it was iligal to produce your own tritium i thaught it would be simelar in legality to deuterium and i suspect that the laws are simalar here in the uk. Not reely worth the risk. Im not very good with legal stuff. and like you sead the results would proberbly be negligible.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

In a distant past posting, the numbers were run on T production in a fusor. I will do a FAQ on it. It is rather tragic so many such single posts are buried beneath such a high overburden of postings over the years.
Almost all arrive here and ask this question publicly or privately once they get a bit of theory under their belt. Jim has given a good account of the legal issues, but for us legal issues never enter into the equation related to our own production of T It is vanishingly small, inconsequential and absolutely undetectable.

Legal issue fall on anyone stupid enough to try and defeat any NRC licensed tritium source of illumination. Then the hammer falls hard on the felon.

Check the Theory FAQS soon as I try to noodle this tritium production math out, once again. Just gimme time....

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
byron addams

Post by byron addams »

yea I'm still finding the maths difficult as I can't find a good place to start with this sort of stuff it seems a bit all or nothing with the maths. And I don't know calculus witch really doesn't help. do you have any good sources for learning the maths to go alongside the theory and practical side of fusion?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All that is needed at our level is a masterful grasp of algebra and the ability to assemble your own word problems which you then turn into simple equations. A full and rich understanding of physics involved also helps a lot! Calculus helps only to merge and make meaningful co-mingled systems on the move. The advanced and advancing in this field will benefit from the calculus. Follow my FAQ on Tritium under construction now.

Read study and understand the PDF file in this FAQ

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13284

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I finished the tritium fusion FAQ in the fusion theory forum...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14149&p=92612#p92612

Richard Hull

Return to “New User Chat Area”