Installing Vacuum Pump Fittings

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Jordan Simpson

Installing Vacuum Pump Fittings

Post by Jordan Simpson »

I have received almost everything I need to test my vacuum pump for the first time. However, before I start by changing the fittings, I would like to know if I need to clean off the oil and residue in the inlet and outlet threads before putting the new fittings in with some Permatex Blue threadlocker.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Installing Vacuum Pump Fittings

Post by Dennis P Brown »

While not fully clear - if oil is on the surfaces the thread loc will go on, then yes, you must clean those surfaces to get a good seal. Though, I'm not a fan of thread loc on any system I use since I end up taking it apart so often. ;)
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Again
I say use loctite super wick in i forget the number but 5??
look it up on fusor net it gets into microcracks and seals but stays semi soft so you can remove fittings good to 10^-8 millibar or better
also useful for extreme pressure vessels to seal porous welds ie 100 atmospheres
Jordan Simpson

Post by Jordan Simpson »

Dennis

What do you use to get a good seal?
Jordan Simpson

Post by Jordan Simpson »

Pictured is what I'd need to clean the oil out from. The inlet and outlet threads are the same, so I only show one of them in the picture. I don't know how I'd clean the oil from them, as I would be worried about damaging the pump by using any liquids to clean it. The KF25 to 3/8" BSP fittings themselves are brand new, and don't need to be cleaned. The threadlocker isn't a permanent threadlocker, and is meant to be removeable with only hand tools. If Permatex Blue will cause any major issues I'd be happy to use Loctite.
Attachments
3702e751-276b-4d86-94c6-5766bbf1d8c1.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

First, I'd use a few cotton swabs (dry) to clean out excessive oil from the threads. Then I would 'wet' a new cotton swab with pure alcohol and clean the threads multiple times with new & wet swabs; don't over saturate the swabs. That should be easy to both clean the threads and prevent contaminates getting into the pump.

By far the best and easiest way to seal that thread coupling is to use standard plumbers Teflon tape. Simply counter wrap the threaded insert with two or three wraps of tape and the seal is extremely good and newer seizes or leaks. Always easy to dissemble, and remains clean. But do need to remove the old tape and install new after any disassembly.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

That is an O-ring seal
it does not require any sealant but the fitting needs a shoulder to mate the O-ring on to
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Don’t overthink this. Just clean it out with a good lint free cloth and button it up.

Mark Rowley
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Looks like there is a gasket of some type already in the hole. If so, then cleaning and Teflon tape isn't necessary.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That gasket looks a wee bit shot to hell. Stuff another one in it. Viton, preferably.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “New User Chat Area”