TC 950 Bias Supply

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Cai Arcos

TC 950 Bias Supply

Post by Cai Arcos »

Hi:

I recently acquired a TC950 bias supply, and I've got some questions about it which I hope someone could help me with.

1.- The output connectors seem like BNC but with more attention paid to insulation. Does anyone know the name and where to buy this connector?

2.- Similarly, is it possible to acquire the NIM connectors separately? I don't plan on having many modules and racks are expensive due to shipping, so it would be really great for me if I could buy those connectors.

3.-. The LEDs on the face over mention negative and positive polarity, but the two 5000 output terminals are actually linked together and the ten turn pot goes from 0-50. Is the polarity chosen internally.

And finally, If someone has or know where to find a manual, I would be most grateful.

Cai
Attachments
IMG_20210707_201333.jpg
IMG_20210707_201400.jpg
Joe Gayo

Re: TC 950 Bias Supply

Post by Joe Gayo »

1. SHV (https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/shv/2292)

2. Yes, expensive - AMP 202516-3 (https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-202516-3.html look at page 74 of the catalog for pin information), here is the NIM standard https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/7120327 for pinout

Look for a small crate like http://www.wiener-d.com/sc/powered-crat ... -150w.html

3. It's either negative or positive output and the pot is x100
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

Joe:

You just solved pretty much all of my questions.

Many thanks!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Once powered up, one of the polarity lights will light. If it is not your correct polarity, remove the covers and you will see a board that can be unplugged and can be turned around and re-plugged-in to reverse the polarity. These are common in bias supplies.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

Richard:

You are correct! I attach a photo, where the polarity changing plug in can be seen.

The supply seems to work fine (I've tested both polarities up to 1kV, without proper connectors I am comfortable going any higher). I thought I had made a great score for this (about 110 euros including shipping), but seeing how simple the circuit seems to be, not so sure.

In any case, I will try to learn how the circuit works to a satisfying degree and what techniques were used (like the costing and layout) so that I can build one better and cheaper myself.
Attachments
IMG_20210708_120754.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

This NIM supply uses a standard high voltage oscillator type supply where near zero currents are necessary. The precision control and regulation is the real issue. That is usually handled via op-amp feedback loop. I designed my own little 400 volt supply (unregulated and fixed) for my little GM counters around a 555 timer. GM supplies are never critical like PMT supplies are. I later turned the 555 out to pasture and used the timer1 feature on the Arduino, itself, to feed the little HV transformer. I attach a couple of images. of the tiny first supply I used before using the Arduino.

Richard Hull
Attachments
This is the little 400 volt supply board.  It also conditioned the GM pulse to a TTL, Arduino friendly "interrupt" pulse.  I later redesigned this little board to support a voltage doubler to power the 800 volt 5759 mica windowed GM tube.  Being cheap I refused to pay for printed masking and saw nothing wrong with getting it for free in pure copper.
This is the little 400 volt supply board. It also conditioned the GM pulse to a TTL, Arduino friendly "interrupt" pulse. I later redesigned this little board to support a voltage doubler to power the 800 volt 5759 mica windowed GM tube. Being cheap I refused to pay for printed masking and saw nothing wrong with getting it for free in pure copper.
Guts of my early GM counter with the little supply and GM signal conditioner board. This "mess" was later reduced to one single board containing the Arduino and supply on one board.
Guts of my early GM counter with the little supply and GM signal conditioner board. This "mess" was later reduced to one single board containing the Arduino and supply on one board.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “New User Chat Area”