MFC fitting identification help!

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
RobertMendelsohn

MFC fitting identification help!

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Hi, I have a MKS 1259C mass flow controller and I'm trying to ID the fittings (photos below).
I (very naively) saw that they were listed as VCR4 and I order a VCR4 to KF40 adapter, but they do not mate.
They appear to have the same IDs, ODs, etc. but the threads of the female to not reach the male thread.
It also appears as through the male end (attached to the MFC) does not have the right geometry to accept a gasket.
I have two ideas, but would really appreciate the help of someone who knows what I am screwing up before I spend a bunch of $$$ on more parts...

Idea #1: MFC actually is NPT, so I need to get an NPT to VCR4 adapter (body?)
Idea #2: the MFC side is supposed to connect to a Swagelok gas pipe or some other fancy thing.

Any and all ideas appreciated!

Sincerely,

Robert

Note: the main thing to point out is that the inside of the connection on the MFC side is tapered in.
Attachments
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg
IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg
Joe Gayo

Re: MFC fitting identification help!

Post by Joe Gayo »

1/4" Swagelok compression (missing ferrule and cap)
RobertMendelsohn

Thanks Joe! You're a lifesaver. Pardon the elementary question, but what all do I need to order to get it working/mated? A ferrule, endcap, and a gasket?
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

No gasket ... the ferrule serves this purpose. What you need depends on what you are connecting it to ... take a look at Swagelok's website. But in the absence of more details, something like https://www.ldsvacuumshopper.com/nw16to14tubeod1.html, ferrule, cap, and copper tubing.
RobertMendelsohn

Hi Joe, thank you for the information, I will read through their site/catalog/etc.
I am trying to connect the MFC on the left with the adapter on the right.
Allegedly, the MDC is VCR4 and the adapter is VCR4 to KF40, but it doesn't work, naively.
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

That's not going to work. You need a Swagelok compression to VCR adapter.

SS-4-VCR-6-400 — 316 Stainless Steel VCR Face Seal Fitting, Swagelok Tube Fitting Connector Body, 1/4 in. VCR x 1/4 in. Tube Fitting, with a length of 1/4inch tubing.

You can use the flange adapter from LDS vacuum (previously linked) instead. If you go the VCR route make sure you get the metal gaskets for the VCR portion.
RobertMendelsohn

Thank you Joe! I bet you can tell I am really lost on this one...

More broad question: what do you think is the cheapest/easiest way to connect that MFC to a KF40 piece?
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

KF40 to 1/4in Swagelok compression adapter and a length of tube
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Adapters keep a lot of brother-in-laws of fitting manufacturers in business and help put their kids through college. Fitting manufacturers do a great job of creating novel and very different fittings only because they what you to by their stuff. To them, their stuff is the greatest. Manufacturers of vacuum active components often figure the same way and figure why use some sort of standard fitting if we can design our own and keep it all in house? Oh, they may offer standard fitting models but at an increased cost. If you aren't going to use their fittings, they will get a bit extra from you up front.

Now the above is very cynical, but the list of what might be called industry standard fittings is a long one! An amateur buying off of e-bay will always keep the brothers-law in the adapter business happy and well remunerated for desperately needed adaptation for "this" standard fitting to "that" standard fitting. The vacuum catch-22.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
RobertMendelsohn

Thank you everyone for your help - this ended up working nicely. Used 1/4" copper refrigeration tubing, got Swagelok compression nuts and ferrules. Now have a great mass flow controller working, all for about $100!
Thanks again!

Return to “New User Chat Area”