NW25 Adapters for inlet/outlet of an Edwards E2M1.5

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Jordan Simpson

NW25 Adapters for inlet/outlet of an Edwards E2M1.5

Post by Jordan Simpson »

I recently acquired a used Edwards E2M1.5. I have yet to test it, but I am easily able to rotate the cooling fan with my hand, so at the very least I don't think the motor is seized. I can hear noises such as wet squelching and blurbing coming from the inside when I do (the pump does not have any oil in it), which might be something of no concern, but I thought I might be worth noting in case it is.

The current fittings for the inlet and outlet appear to be 3/8" male NPT to some small female NPT, but I'm not exactly sure what kind they are. I don't believe they will suffice for testing it or fusor work, though. An adapter for the smaller female NPT to a NW25 flange would likely be just as expensive as a 3/8" male NPT to NW25 flange adapter, and certainly more problematic, as there would be more potential for leaks.

What I am wondering is if a cheap 3/8" male NPT to NW25 flange adapter, such as one off of eBay (like the one linked below) would suffice, because the fittings on the pump have a flat bottom that an o-ring sits under, so I'm unsure if the eBay one in question would provide a good seal.

I have attached some pictures below showing some things that I described. Keep in mind that although the pictures are of the inlet fitting, the outlet fitting is the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274087221684?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
A view of the inlet port without anything screwed into it, showing the o-ring.
A view of the inlet port without anything screwed into it, showing the o-ring.
A view of the inlet fitting without anything screwed into it, showing the threaded port.
A view of the inlet fitting without anything screwed into it, showing the threaded port.
A view of the inlet fitting slightly unscrewed to show the flat base I mentioned.
A view of the inlet fitting slightly unscrewed to show the flat base I mentioned.
A view of the pump from above showing the fittings on top.
A view of the pump from above showing the fittings on top.
Richard Hull

Re: NW25 Adapters for inlet/outlet of an Edwards E2M1.5

Post by Richard Hull »

I can sympathize with you unwillingness to just blow $6.25 for what might just work. After all, no need breaking the bank on a maybe.
No one here can give you an answer 100%. If you can't machine something to adapt then you are lost beyond spending the big bucks for the Ebay item. After all, it will work perfectly or it will not, and that is an absolute surety.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Some pump inlets are BSP
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Being of British manufacture it is highly likely the threads are BSP (British Standard Pipe) not NPT
BSP = 19 threads per inch Npt = 18 threads per inch BSP = 55 degrees threadform NPT = 60 degrees threadform.

one will start in the other but not the other way around I cannot remember which way -- any case you will damage the threads
Jordan Simpson

Post by Jordan Simpson »

John

My bad, the fittings are 3/8" BSP, so this might be a better choice, although I am unsure if they are actually BSP.

https://www.amazon.com/HFS-KF25-NW-25-T ... GYJLM?th=1
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Yep that amazon listing is exactly what you want!!

Return to “New User Chat Area”