Olive compression fittings in High Vacuum

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Albert Mery

Re: Olive compression fittings in High Vacuum

Post by Albert Mery »

Hello Joe, Richard,

Thanks for that advice about the metal ring, I made a crude one with some metal scraps and a small spring. I was planning on using Shellac to create a vacuum tight seal for the conductor... however I haven't gotten that far saddly. I have been completely unable to drill through this ceramic. The diamond drill bits were only able to bore a couple millimeters after 20 minutes of drilling with water :( . If I had a lathe I'm sure it could be done easily but that's not quite in my budget. There are so many knowlegeable craftsman on this forum, I was wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks on how I could get this done? I might just scrap this hole standoff idea all togethere and opt for a Liam David type feedthrough. As Richard mentioned, even if I got it working this feedthrough it would only be good for demo fusor use...
Thanks,
Albert
Joe Gayo

Re: Olive compression fittings in High Vacuum

Post by Joe Gayo »

The quality of the drill bit, cooling, and setup matter a great deal. Can you find another ceramic piece that already has the through-hole? Otherwise use a spark plug...

Return to “New User Chat Area”