Deuterium odour/smell?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
John Moats

Deuterium odour/smell?

Post by John Moats »

Probably a silly question,
Has anyone noticed a detectable smell/odour of deuterium gas (other than that of perhaps HV generated ozone in the room)?
There's been some studies on "vibrational smell".
Just curious.
TIA! :-)

JM
Richard Hull

Re: Deuterium odour/smell?

Post by Richard Hull »

No...Never smelled a thing! I sure hope I never smell deuterium! If it has a smell and you sense it......You gotta' leak!....A bad one!... Snorting or huffing deuterium is one of those habits I choose not to develop.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Sounds like an expensive and phenomenally wasteful leak as well!
Hopefully no one has leaked a quantity significant enough to answer this question. Although I can’t imagine it having any distinctive odor. Every scientific publication I’ve read lists hydrogen, deuterium, and helium as odorless.

No shortage of easily searchable and credible resources on the web.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Deuterium

Mark Rowley
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

No one, and mean no one should ever have any significant deuterium released in any room - deuterium, like hydrogen, has a huge range over which it explodes. The trivial amount exhausted by a vacuum pump won't pose a hazard; likely you are smelling oil vapor fumes from the pump.

Return to “New User Chat Area”