Editing in Images du jour

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Gunnar Mein

Editing in Images du jour

Post by Gunnar Mein »

So I thought I was supposed to edit the update post for our team in Images du jour, rather than creating new posts. But it looks like after 3 days or so, edits are disabled. Create new posts then?
Mark Rowley

Re: Editing in Images du jour

Post by Mark Rowley »

What pretty much everyone does is make one personalized post, for example “John Doe’s Fusor Project”. Then you just add pictures to it via “Post Reply”. This way it keeps clutter down from making a new topic for every picture or group of pictures for your project.

Here’s an example of my beam-on-target project that should give the idea. It’s just a running log of progress under one all-encompassing post.

viewtopic.php?t=13769

Mark Rowley
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

As usual, I ponder the requests that people make and try to figure out what the best configuration of the board.

It used to be that any member could edit any of their posts indefinitely. They could even delete them at any time. This caused disruption of the site as information sometimes just vanished leaving many hanging threads. No editing or deleting is now allowed beyond the 3 day limit.

I think this is still a good strategy especially in the Images section. Doing additional posts to show updates lets readers follow a story of your development. Showing start to finish is more interesting and valuable than just the final product. The journey is the story.

After pondernment, I still think the existing forum limits work. The only exception to that is in the Trading Post where I have thrown in the towel. It should be trivial to grant unlimief editing privileges in that forum but with the latest series of phpBB releases, forget about it. No way I can find to give privileges there without granting them ubiquitously to all and that is not the direction we need to go. Been there done that.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I agree with the trading post. I am tired of having to sift through stuff old and sold to delete it. It should be up to the poster. The pity is, will they be able to delete all the string of posts not their posts in response or will I have to still clean up the debris. Naturally, I am willing to continue to do that.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “New User Chat Area”