Suitable Mechanical Vacuum Pump?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
River Marlowe

Suitable Mechanical Vacuum Pump?

Post by River Marlowe »

Hey Everyone,
After looking through the vacuum FAQs, I've been on the hunt for a vacuum pump adequate for my demo fusor. I got a tight budget so I have been getting most of my parts heavily used off of eBay. Now, I think I have found a suitable mechanical pump, but I wanted to run it past you all before I make the purchase, just in case there are any problems a better-trained eye may spot. From what I understand, my mechanical pump should be two-stage, capable of 2< CFM, and able to reach low micron levels (~15). This specific brand and series boast a 10-micron vacuum brand new. The outside has had a large amount of damage, which I understand is a sign of poor vacuum care which could hurt its capabilities. So what do you guys think? Is it worth a shot given the price? Is there some big red flag I'm missing? Any advice on continuing my search?

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224384030794?m ... fresh=true

UPDATE:
I just found out the pump Is incomplete, thereby making it not suitable for the project.

Thank you!
River M.
Last edited by River Marlowe on Wed May 19, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm new to this but eager to learn so if I sound dumb please correct me!
Joe Gayo

Re: Suitable Mechanical Vacuum Pump?

Post by Joe Gayo »

The item listed is incomplete. It's just the motor without the pump head. This will not work as-is.
River Marlowe

Post by River Marlowe »

Ah, I did not realize it was missing a piece. Thank you!
I'm new to this but eager to learn so if I sound dumb please correct me!
Gunnar Mein

Post by Gunnar Mein »

When we started, we got a cheap pump advertised to reach 10 micron. I don't know under what conditions this would actually have been achieved, it never made it below 350. YMMV, but this is one area where I would take a specific recommendation over an ad. We now use one of these beautiful creatures: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324268126076 (I bought 3 of these cheap at some point for our SEM), but even it will only get us to about 150 micron. We use a secondary turbo-molecular pump to get to about 2.5-7 micron. At least the new rough pump is quiet, our cheapo pump was annoyingly loud. So: Buyer beware. But perhaps if you have a very short vacuum line, you will fare better. Good luck!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Getting a decent vacuum is one of the big hurdles in even doing the Plasma club. For the neutron club, the big hurdle is always the power supply, not so much the voltage with its odd polarity but one that can deliver the current (power needed to fusion at high voltage.). Good luck on going as far as you wish in the effort. Power for the plasma club is never much of an issue.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “New User Chat Area”