Ballasting Resistors?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
River Marlowe

Ballasting Resistors?

Post by River Marlowe »

Hey Everyone,
I am currently in the process of selecting parts for my HV circuitry for my demo fusor and, with the help of the FRQ's, came to understand a lot more about electronics. However, one component I can't find much information on is the ballasting resistor. From what I could find on the internet, this component seems to limit the current of a line, but why is that important in fusor applications? Why exactly is it needed? Lastly, is this an acceptable ballast resistor for my demo fusor?

https://www.zaversone.com/index.php?mai ... _id=242263

Thank you!
River M.
I'm new to this but eager to learn so if I sound dumb please correct me!
Richard Hull

Re: Ballasting Resistors?

Post by Richard Hull »

Did you read my FAQ on Ballasting resistors?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13497&p=87915#p87915

These are usually 5-inches to 12-inches long in the value and wattage we would typically need. They are rather rare now as they were much more common to the vacuum tube era.
The thing is that they are rather large and ugly and are green or brown in color. I attach an image of the type thing you will need if your supply demands a ballast resistor. pay no attention to the value in the image as it is too low, but the wattage dictates the size.

Richard Hull
Attachments
This is the typical size of a ballast resistor.
This is the typical size of a ballast resistor.
power resistor.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

River
the ballast resistor helps the power supply to not collapse totally in output quickly ie it limits dV/dt
I use those same resistors that you have found but I use 5x 10k ohm ones in series a single resistor will flash over to the aluminium case at a few kv. and as you can guess 30-100k ohms is about the right size for a fusor
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The aluminum case is the killer. Never use those resistors. During a ballast action, all of the load voltage might appear across the resistor. The resistor I show is pure ceramic and cannot arc over. the only metal allowed is the internal, fine, high resistance wire and the large two end lugs. No metal body allowed.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
River Marlowe

Post by River Marlowe »

I read the ballasting FRQ but was under the false impression that ballasting the NST and a ballasting resistor were two separate components. I am using a 60hz Franceformer so ballasting won't be an issue for me.

Thank you all!
River M.
I'm new to this but eager to learn so if I sound dumb please correct me!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, that is what FAQs are all about......Explaining, in some detail, specific issues.

All classic, heavy, old school, neon sign transformers are magnetically shunted and cannot be overloaded with even a dead short!! They are a beautiful example of 1920's magnetic design.
The feather weight new class of switched electronic designs are rather useless for demo fusor purposes. "If it weighs a ton, you have won." "If it is feather light, you have lost the fight"

Richard Hull

Return to “New User Chat Area”