electromagnet calculator

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
byron addams

electromagnet calculator

Post by byron addams »

does anyone know anny good online calculators for building electromagnets.
Trying to keep the magic smoke from getting out.
Mark Rowley

Re: electromagnet calculator

Post by Mark Rowley »

I've used this before but there seems to be quite a few for different purposes.

There are some transformer calculators out there which allow for things like this as well. Perhaps digging into those could be of benefit. Anyway, this is the one I keep bookmarked:

https://www.easycalculation.com/enginee ... -force.php

Mark Rowley
Maciek Szymanski

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

Byron, if it is for your Thorello project then I would just use the Helmholtz coil formula as the first approximation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
RobertMendelsohn

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Let me know if you need help, I have built many (large) electromagnets before and am happy to help:

World's largest amateur electromagnet: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2219944
byron addams

Post by byron addams »

@RobertMendelsohn
i have had a look at your work and it looks like you know alot about the subject.
the main problem that i am haveing at the moment is createing the magnetic feild needed in the aria that i have to work i have thaught about the liquid nitrogen cooling but unfortionately no suplyers in the UK seem to want to sell me anny.

i am still trying to learn and be able to use the maths that is used in electromagnet desighn but it is takeing me a while to learn becauls i suffer from dyslexia witch makes it alot harder to understand the information that i find in books and online.

fig 1 is the aria that the electromagnet would need to be within.

fig 2 cad of the full device.
fig 1 Magnet Coil Holder
fig 1 Magnet Coil Holder
fig 2 Full Thorello Device
fig 2 Full Thorello Device
Trying to keep the magic smoke from getting out.

Return to “New User Chat Area”