About high voltage boost converters...

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Sven Andersson

About high voltage boost converters...

Post by Sven Andersson »

Hullo everyone!

Anyone sick yet? With Corona?

About the boost converters. They are sold cheaply on eBay. Now, I just want to ask if someone knows if the output from them is always pulsed? If you connect one of them to an oscilloscope, what would the output look like? Is the peak voltage as high as advertised? 800 kV for some of them and others lower at 10 or 30 kV.

And, how do they work? Formally, what are they called? Can I build one myself? Is there some book or resource with complete "recipes" on how to build stuff like that?

00 ScreenHunter_32 Mar. 24 15.27.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: About high voltage boost converters...

Post by Richard Hull »

Absolutely ridiculous!! Not usable for anything related to fusion. No need for me to explain. I leave that as an exercise for the student.
Pulsed for sure and hook it your scope, but not mine. It can be done, absolutely and for sure, but why bother? There is no path forward with this little toy.
Should others wish to educate....Go for it. Some self-directed learning might be in order here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

If most of these items had the voltage rating they claim, they would inmediately disintegrate into a ball of fire when you turn them on.
I believe this has been addressed in the FAQs
PS: I believe most of them are Flyback Converters that generate the high voltage pulses from the collapse of the magnetic field in the primary and step it up on the secondary, rather than a boost converter.
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Sven,

It doesn't sound like you want to use one of these for fusion.

If you want to get a good description on how to build one see here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJp2tHmEQo

The output coil would be a difficult build.

Cheers.
Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler »

Hi Sven,

If I may add my 2 cents as well, it's important to look at the current and power of a power supply. Sure, I bet you could find a million 30 kV boost converters that actually supply 30 kV. However, the current would be a few dozen micro amps max, or a few watts if not milliwatts.

When looking for power supply units, highly consider power supplies that can put out at least 30 kV and 3 mA (at least 90 W) if you want fusion.

Josh

Return to “New User Chat Area”