More of a re-introduction

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
David Swan

More of a re-introduction

Post by David Swan »

Hello folks.

I was a member here a few years ago (Profile says I joined in 2013. Was it really that long?!) but dropped off for a while.
Now I'm back, well sort of. My main passion has been, and is, astrophotography, but with the dearth of clear nights here in the UK I'm reactivating another bottomless money pit.
Only taking baby-steps at the moment, will be reading a lot more than posting.
Also since I retired I have a lot more time available, though less money.

Currently I'm trawling the 'bay for vacuum and HV components, looks to be far fewer here in the UK than in the US (Not really surprising). When I was working I managed to open an account (Through the school) with Edwards High Vacuum, but that went when I retired, and they don't sell to private individuals.
OK, that's enough of my waffling. off to read more board topics.
Richard Hull

Re: More of a re-introduction

Post by Richard Hull »

Being retired and I assume a teacher of some venue, you value reading. I am now 75, retired and I was taught from a young age to read in order to find out things beyond that which was taught in school. I would board the bus early on weekends and haunt our large city library, I read technical periodicals and magazines that we could not afford. I also would locate and attempt to comprehend scientific and technical subjects in books that were beyond my learning curve. I would shut the place down at 4:30 and take the bus back home, my mind going a million miles an hour with my notes for review in my bookbag.

Reading before doing is a must here to gain an understanding of what and why your hands are doing things that were once foreign and incomprehensible to you. Welcome.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Re: More of a re-introduction

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Glad your back. Hopefully, a useable pump appears in the UK e-bay. Do note that building a proper supply that is inexpensive compared to commercial units has been done by a few people here in a number of different ways. While looking for a pump, do keep an eye out for a possible chamber.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”