Hello from Florida!!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Cassidy Camera

Hello from Florida!!

Post by Cassidy Camera »

Hello all!!

I am a high school senior from Florida who has been lurking for about a year, and I am finally ready to start my own build! I have been interested in nuclear physics since middle school, and plan to major in physics in college. I have done several smaller-scale projects and therefore have some previous experience in high voltage (only up to 10kV so far, so it looks like I’ll be going bigger!) and vacuum technology, and have access to machine shop materials and tools, which is a bonus. I have a few rudimentary designs started, and right now my main issue is keeping this project affordable, so any suggestions would be amazing!!

Thanks so much, and best to everybody!!
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello from Florida!!

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and welcome.

Buying surplus vacuum & electronics components online from ebay (and finding the companies that specialize in it) is critical for affordable equipment; I routinely got high end two stage vacuum pumps for $10 and a turbo & controller for the same price (using it now.) Inexpensive high voltage/current diodes, HV cables, vacuum parts, gauges/detectors can also be had at great savings but again, getting good prices requires time and effort. Can't say if these are as common now (I haven't any need for such items for some time) but one must look and learn.

Doing shop work can be very helpful both in saving money and getting correct parts that fit odd-ball vacuum devices but building a complete chamber is a real challenge for certain.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”