Aerospace Engineer in Seek of Viable Airborne Power Source

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Joe Gayo

Re: Aerospace Engineer in Seek of Viable Airborne Power Source

Post by Joe Gayo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:08 pm

I think when someone presents themselves as an engineer with a prominent company (actually Boeing and not Lockheed in this case), responding with matter-of-factness is fair ... but I hear your stance, Frank.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:26 pm

My comments were not directed at any one person. It is a general statement.

In an ideal world, people would read and use their real names and ask cogent questions and present more of their backgrounds. I get that. I really do but it is not the way of internet life these days. We are a unique site in that way and people are not used to it. We need to see if they can comply before being evicted.

As for restricting what new people can do, I implemented that many years ago. All new users are in a group that gives them a very limited set of posting privileges and their registration name lit up in goldenrod glory. There is not algorithm that I know to search a name to see if it is real or not until they appear here and humans decide. I am hesitant to go too crazy on the registration restrictions as we have had some famous names on here, strange names, and people with various impairments (is that still the politically correct word?). These people would have been dumped out by such an algorithm.

I know not what else we can do except give a person a chance on their responses to see what they are made of.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:35 pm

Can the terms and conditions text be bigger and more obvious?
Rules.PNG

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:48 pm

Sure thing. I guess they are a bit small. The two important items are bold so they should stand out but we can give them larger fonts.

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:06 am

Frank, there’s no algorithm. It’s just a matter of checking the newly registered users list on a weekly basis (or more frequent) for compliance. Easy peasy… and by doing so there’s zero risk of the issues you outline.

Mark Rowley

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:25 am

Not so sure it is so easy. Here is a few users from the log. Are they real or not?

1. scottfusare
2. ruoytit"xxxx"e
3. dr"xxxx".

I have omitted the actual name using xxx but you get the idea.

And a bunch more. Where to draw the line? How would we know if these are legit or not. There are very few registrants that do not use their name in the new logs. As previously stated, many will fix them on prompting after their first post. To my knowledge, all three of my example are real people and that is their real name. RIP Scott Fusare 7/9/21. Good guy.

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 am

Frank, I’m confident your abilities are quite good at determining junk registrations and folks who are legitimate. Lots of clues within the phpBB Viewing Profile section. Tbh, it’s really not all that much work to “admin approve” all account registrations during a morning cup of coffee.

Setting shown from my personal phpBB page
9A32C08E-4CFA-4A66-A412-F342BB486BA5.jpeg
9A32C08E-4CFA-4A66-A412-F342BB486BA5.jpeg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 731 times
It’s really the only sure shot way to avoid dictatorial edicts to long term members, ensuring rules are met with new registrations, and to avoid member initiated abrasive responses to non-compliant members. Otherwise, status quo will persist and we’re sure to relive this issue repeatedly.

Mark Rowley

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:33 am

Ok, it is done. I will be the heavy and be sure people comply before their first post. One more thing on my To Do list twice a day now.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:37 am

As one of those 'rocky' start people, being professional is not just proper, it is essential. That said, repeated violations of this simple policy does need to be brought to the attention of the poster; we still have one or two ...well, that isn't germane on this thread right now but hey, some of us have issues from time to time with posters that are a bit over-the-top.

I will say that an engineer should be more able to handle rules and mild criticism better than the average person... well, you'd think. I will add that when I first posted here I did use my full name. I considered this place a professional forum and as such, it never occurred to me to use a 'handle' through that was allowed and not terribly uncommon then (mostly newer members.)

However, using a handle is SOP for so many places that people are not use to anything on the internet being used in a professional manner and we should try and cut some slack to those that don't; yes, reminding them is ok but as Frank said, let's try and be nice (at least a few times ;) .)

Sad news that Scott passed; I do believe I meet him at one of the HEAS meetings I attended.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks go to Frank for moving the Scott passing commentary to the admin forums. Yes, all of us engineers past and present are used to tough love mostly from our fellow peers. engineering is a rough and tumble biz for most as deadlines missed, recriminations from fellows, and just plain faux pas being pointed out in a many less than appealing ways. Not a place for mama's boys.

I came down hard on what I assumed was a grown man, engineer, if he was one, who had to know that no fusion device exists as a true power source. If he meant a non-fusion power source for aeronautical/space use, then why go to an amateur fusion specific site? Oh well... We did give him a chance to respond and he did not explain or clarify in any manner or in his defense. Engineers, clarify and fight back in a reasoned response for the most part. If we are wrong, we face up to it, do a suitable mea culpa and move on, (with suitable embarrassment). Our engineer just left, his feelings hurt, obviously.

To play here you need to put on your big boy pants, be kind to young folks who haven't lived much life yet or who have few skills. Teaching is important. Part of teaching begins with why are you here and what do you hope to accomplish. A formal aerospace engineer arriving is supposed to have some pre-knowledge, skills and a solid backgrounding in what is out there and possible, especially if his area is in propulsion or on board power sources.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”