Hello! I am happy to be here!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Drew Scott

Hello! I am happy to be here!

Post by Drew Scott »

Hello everyone!

I am a 35 year old science teacher from North Carolina. I have had an amateur interest in all things science since I was very young, and now teach high school Physics and Biology. I worked for many years as a field biologist before becoming a teacher, with a focus on threatened species of the southwest such as the Mojave desert tortoise. My proudest achievement so far from a DIY perspective is building a VTTC (vacuum tube Tesla coil) from scratch a few years ago. It was a great (and expensive) experience, and now I am ready for another challenge. I think I have been bitten by the fusor bug. I already have a few of the materials I need (a couple NSTs, HV diodes, variac) and my brother runs the welding shop at the local community college, so I have a semi-dependable supply of metal to build with. I am a sucker for anything high voltage, and this seems like the next project for me. I want to build a demo fusor to show to my science students (not actually fusing for safety sake), that I can use as a stepping stone to build an actual fusing fusor one day. It seems like this site is the best place to start!
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello! I am happy to be here!

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Welcome; also, I see you have read all the rules and are starting off on a good foot.

A NST is good for a demo fusor and as for diodes, well, read a good bit on those not just here (see many FAQ's on this subject) but on the internet to learn about high voltage (HV) diodes; these semiconductor components have issues related to current, time response as well as frequncy reponse - all determined by what you need for a given supply. These topics along with your vacuum question are just the begining to the fun of learning about constructing fusors. With the fairly reasonably priced chinese precip supplies, a fusor is a lot cheaper now. Of course, one pays extra in learning the required special handling so as not to kill said supply but again, that is covered in the FAQ's.
Drew Scott

Post by Drew Scott »

I want to create a demo fusor to begin with for several reasons.

A) I have several of the parts already
B) I want to use it in the classroom and it would be safer
C) It will be good practice for the real thing
D) It will cost less

I forgot to mention, I have several HV diodes as well that were scrounged from old microwave ovens. I am currently using one as a half-wave rectifier to charge a large capacitor bank. Hopefully I have enough of them to use for the fusor supply, but I need to build the enclosure first. I have already made a bit of progress on that front since yesterday! See the attached image. I have ordered two (one to use, one for spare) 5" dia x 6" tall x 0.275" thick pyrex tubes to sandwich in between the 1" aluminum plates. I still need to figure out a HV pass through and build my grid electrode. I was originally planning on using copper wire & solder, but after reading the FAQs it is clear that that will not work as the temp will be too high and will melt it. My brother has a TIG welder and is pretty good with it, so I will probably make the pieces for the grid and get him to TIG it together for me. After that I just need to purchase a vacuum pump. I found some on eBay for around 150$ that say they get down to 25 microns of pressure at 9cfm, which sounds like it will do the trick. Still also need a pressure gauge.

Thanks!
Attachments
KIMG0198.JPG
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Good progress but as for the vacuum pump, an ok unit for a simple demo. When a pump is 'good for' 25 microns, that tends to mean it will maybe get below 50 microns. That is rather marginal performance for a two stage pump. Might not work for a real fusor.

Microwave diodes won't necessarily handle a NST (under no load) since some NST units reach above 8 kV. Most such diodes will likely fail. Proper HV diodes are cheap so maybe consider proper valued ones (15 to 30 kV; even high current ones are cheap in this voltage range.)

Even a demo fusor plasma can harm a glass cylinder leading to implosive failure (throwing high speed glass fragments.) So to be safe make sure it is enclosed in a wire screen cage.

In the future, start any new threads and/or updates either in the New User Chat area or for photo's, Image du Jour.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”