keep up the good work

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.

keep up the good work

Post by guest »

Hello all,

I am a mechanical engineer. I primarily do design work. Used to work for Lockheed Martin under contract to NASA (Never Access Space Again) on fast spinny things that pump lots of super cold and super flammable substances at ungodly rates, and the testing thereof. Didn't get along with the G man types too well, I actually want to go to space some day not just sit around and drink coffee and spend tax dollars. As much as I like rockets (any mechanical engineer likes rockets I can't get past the horrible propulsion mass problem, so there must be a better way. The current state of space exploration is a guy sitting on the beach, wanting to cross the Atlantic, and for transport he has a skate board. We need a serious propulsion break through. My time with NASA convinced me that we amatures will have to pave the way. What ever type of space/gravity/energy warping drive scheme you want to use it will need LOTS O POWER, most likely electrical in nature. So I stumbled accross the old songs.com site and have been lurking ever since. Currently collecting parts and trying to find the time to build a fusor. I am interested in pulsed operation. But I am also building a business, an airplane, a house, a cnc mill, a new computer for my wife....... (I have a real wife, the computer is for her to use I am hoping the cloning guys will hurry up because I want to order some help!!!!

The new site looks great!! Cudos to Ryan. I would like to know what software you are using. It would work well on some other forums I am on.

Regards,

Monty
r_c_edgar

Re: keep up the good work

Post by r_c_edgar »

The software is called w-agora. It runs on PHP and uses an SQL database as a backend. The software supports a number of different databases, but here it is using MySQL.

You can get more details on the software's website, http://www.w-agora.net/

-Ryan Edgar

Post by guest »

Monty Roberts wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a mechanical engineer. I primarily do design work. Used to work for Lockheed Martin under contract to NASA (Never Access Space Again) on fast spinny things that pump lots of super cold and super flammable substances at ungodly rates, and the testing thereof. Didn't get along with the G man types too well, I actually want to go to space some day not just sit around and drink coffee and spend tax dollars. As much as I like rockets (any mechanical engineer likes rockets I can't get past the horrible propulsion mass problem, so there must be a better way. The current state of space exploration is a guy sitting on the beach, wanting to cross the Atlantic, and for transport he has a skate board. We need a serious propulsion break through. My time with NASA convinced me that we amatures will have to pave the way. What ever type of space/gravity/energy warping drive scheme you want to use it will need LOTS O POWER, most likely electrical in nature.

I expect exotic techolgy will NOT get man into space.
Until we get into LEO with a no-cost vehical ( err low budget) will space develop. Goverments want big projects
that have little to do with what I think is the way to go into space.Air travel developed from small planes around WWI
with a few bags of mail and a pasenger or two, until today
you have the 747. Space travel being 100x harder would
bring a a payload back to a few people (3?) and a about
a ton of cargo for a resusable craft.
I am sure that any large project (other than a telescope
mirror) could be developed better ( reusable,reparable,recyacble) and put into space in small
chunks and assmbled there providing resonable wages are used.
Space access has to be bootstraped, put up a space
platform and go slowly but constantly, not like the
ISS mess. A space station is place to live in space
not a space hotel. ( A fan of the old spinning cities in space).
I don't expect large transport in space to work not because
of power needed but cooling of components.
I don't expect to get into space on a skateboard but give me
a motorcycle & sidecar I think I can do it while NASA is laying railroad track. For a laugh see "spudnik".
http://www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html

So I stumbled accross the old songs.com site and have been lurking ever since. Currently collecting parts and trying to find the time to build a fusor. I am interested in pulsed operation. But I am also building a business, an airplane, a house, a cnc mill, a new computer for my wife....... (I have a real wife, the computer is for her to use I am hoping the cloning guys will hurry up because I want to order some help!!!!
Good luck with the FUSOR.
>
> The new site looks great!! Cudos to Ryan. I would like to know what software you are using. It would work well on some other forums I am on.
The forum looks great and very easy to scan for new
updates.
> Regards,
>
> Monty
Ben.
PS. Right now computers are my hobby but fusion & space are nice areas to surf.
"Pre-historic Cpu's" http://www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Monty,

If you haven't already, you might avail yourself to the essay on "The Fusion Powered Future" elsewhere on this site. There, you'll find an expression of Farnsworth's own vision of future space travel, which is not unlike your own.

Farnsworth always believed that he would voyage into space; he told his wife as much back in the 1920s. So, to some extent, his work on fusion was a means to that end.

I think Phil shared your frustration with our present means of propulsion. He often described our current space travel capabilities in terms "a pineapple and a pea": with rocketry, we need a vehicle the size of a pineapple to launch a payload the size of a pea; with a fusion engine, he believed the ratio could be reversed, to create a launch vehicle the size of a pea to lift a payload the size of a pineapple.

Obviously, neither of these visions came to pass during Farnsworth's life time. He never made the trip into space, nor did he realize a fusion-powered propulsion system. But it is interesting to think how his interest in the former drove his work in the latter.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."

Post by guest »

I expect fusion to make dramatic inroads in space travel.
I personaly favor anti-matter -> fision -> fusion reactons.
How ever chemical or thermal rockets still remain the only method to get into low earth orbit because 1) people don't want "radioactive" stuff falling on ones heads; 2) A fusion
engine may not produce sufficent thrust to overcome gravity;
3) Fusion has not reached break even Q yet.
Ben.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”