FAQ - General considerations about neutron counter calibration

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

FAQ - General considerations about neutron counter calibration

Post by Richard Hull »

This is a rather exhaustive discussion presented in the PDF file below, related to neutron counters in general, moderator functioning, in general, and how neutron counter systems of the most common type used by the amateur fusioneer are calibrated. This FAQ is designed more as an overview of the foregoing to the budding neutron detection aficionado. In addition, the older BC-720 is also discussed in a new light for those old boys who are in the mega-neutron/sec TIER class. The calibration of the BC-720 is instant and easy with no need for the purchase of an expensive, short-lived BTI bubble dosimeter.
Enjoy....

Note: 9/25/20........ I have added an addendum to this PDF to cover easy mathematical calibration to flux and TIER for the most common gas neutron detection tubes provided three stringent conditions are met by the owners of such detection tubes.

There may be some typos or structure issues that I hope to straighten out in future. Feel free to PM me is you spot some. Help me make this better if it needs it. (I wrote this at 4:30 am local time so be kind)

Richard Hull
Attachments
Calibration of neutron counters.pdf
(189.25 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - General considerations about neutron counter calibration

Post by Richard Hull »

Note: Today, I have added an addendum to the original post's PDF to cover mathematical calibration to flux and TIER for the most common gas neutron detection tubes provided three stringent conditions are met by the owners of such detection tubes.

If you own a BF3, He3 or other such neutron detection tube and have access to the spec sheet for your tube with the tube's specific calibration factor of "thermal Neutron counting efficiency stated as cps/nv", you might be in business to mathematically calculate your neutron flux and, thereby, your TIER for your fusor.

Down load the PDF above and see it it applies to you.

Also you must see the videos of Carl Willis on getting a 3He tube to count only neutrons and not background hot gammas and x-rays.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6053

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Neutron - Radiation Detection”