FAQ - A Demo Fusor Plasma Pictorial

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: FAQ - A Demo Fusor Plasma Pictorial

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

I know it has already been mentioned here in these forums many, many times… but nothing beats a bell-jar demo fusor for observing the plasma as it responds to changes in pressure, voltage, current, magnetic field, etc. Totally fascinating!

Here’s something interesting that runs counter to our everyday experiences…To our eyes the plasma “appears” to be a cloud of moisture, a fog, but try shining a flashlight or a laser pointer at it and see what happens.

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Jon has already mentioned the constant harping, mostly by me, for the beginner to 'experience' the plasma. The demo device is not something you hit and then move immediately to fusion.

Stop and smell the roses. Play with the INSTRUMENTED plasma. Observe the current-voltage raltionship to visual imaging. Check for the subtle shades and core relationships presented. Alter the pressure. Put in an odd gas.

This is a playground and everything is new. Investigate and discover. If you have read a bit about plasmas in books, stuff that you have read will take on a whole new meaning. I spent 8 months in 1997 and 1998 with two different demo machines before I homed in on fusion.

On my tapes, I show how I investigated magnetic phenomenon as well as rapidly changing electrostatic field gradients from outside a bell jar.

Nothing but pure fun turned into real hands-on knowledge.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
AFW

Post by AFW »

Very nice pics. Were the photos taken from above?
Is your jar clamped down, or held down by atmos.pressure?
Do you use an O-ring seal, grease, or both?

Tony Webb
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Anthony-

Photos taken from the side.
The bell jar is held down by atmospheric pressure.
Just the normal bell jar "L" gasket, no other sealer. I got the gasket from Duniway Stockroom.

Jon Rosenstiel
Last edited by Jon Rosenstiel on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dead link
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Turned into a formal FAQ in 2019 with annotations in the images by me with Jon's permission. Fabulous and valuable forever to the vacuum newbie.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Fusor Construction & Operation”