FAQ - Make your own deuterium from heavy water!! The video

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - Make your own deuterium from heavy water!! The video

Post by Richard Hull »

I have significantly reorganized the original post. I now feel that this first posting FAQ is a stand alone video, extravaganza of great and lasting value when the videos are viewed as I have edited them in sequential order. Much of the following replies are dealt with in this one original posting now. I struggled with erasing posts that were made superfluous in many following replies but demurred, wishing to leave things intact. Fabulous work on Mark's behalf in successive videos now organized for proper and complete perspective.

To Frank:
I think, rather than confuse folks, we will let the original reversible PEM cell presented in the original FAQ posting, now in a fine order of videos, to stand alone. For those who wish to follow the replies they will stumble onto the Electrolyzer only cell and the Chi-Com yet cheaper cells that you posted on. They can choose and experiment with the unknowns should they wish at their convenience. We really wish that very complete initial posting to be the complete exposition on the subject.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Shipping on the Chinese PEM cell was surprisingly fast (10 days!). Tracking was accurate which provided updates every 2 days or so.

So here’s the initial report:

Unboxing
The packaging was the typical padded speedpak envelope. The cell within was contained in a Mylar type ziplock bag. No instructions, no extra parts, just the cell all by its lonesome. If anyone decides to go this route first, they will be required to purchase or fabricate the wiring, silicone tubing and plugs, and filler syringe.

Physical Comparison
Other than the shape of the plastic frame, the membrane cell itself appears to be the same size as the Horizon cell (pictured in blue). Close inspection of the membranes reveal some slight differences (texture, perforation size, etc) but nothing strikingly obvious.

3EDD1E2B-7D92-4B97-AF88-9A8EE1CBAB4A.jpeg

There’s no indication in English to identify which is the hydrogen side or the D2O fill side. However, the negative polarity side (black terminal) is typically the H output side. This was confirmed during operation.

Making Deuterium Gas
Operation appeared to be identical with the Horizon unit. However, D production really slowed down after 70mL or 15 minutes of operation. To get a full 100mL charge took roughly 30 minutes. That’s 15 minutes longer than the Horizon. During operation there was no hint of any wet or damp deuterium product. No condensation in the lines or within the negative polarity side of the cell.

4199D1D7-4CEC-4F06-B9DA-93DC993CBBC9.jpeg

Deuterium Performance
Operating the fusor did not reveal any remarkable differences with this deuterium product. Fusor operational settings which typically produce 1.5E+6 n/s TIER were the same with both cells.

Questions Remain
Providing it’s maintained properly, the Horizon cell has been proven to last years. Will this cell have similar longevity?

The slowing down of deuterium production after 15 minutes is concerning. Will this improve, get worse, stay the same?

Will the cell withstand back pressure as well as the Horizon unit does?

All these questions can only be answered after several months to a year or continual usage. Additionally, as others try these cells it may identify mine as a lemon, top performer, or just the average.

As of now, I would recommend for the new fusorist to buy a Horizon kit or one of their electrolyzer cells before considering one of these….at least right now.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks for this report on the chi-com electrolyzer. The slow down, in my book, means "spend the long buck" go Horizon.
The content and value of this FAQ keeps on improving thanks to Mark's continuing effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Mark
The difference could be that the chinese version uses Chafion not Nafion. Nafion is now out of patent protection but I think they have guarded their IP well so there could be quite major differences.
We have bought some @ work will report when measurements are done
Arun Luthra

Post by Arun Luthra »

What is the story behind the odd looking needle valves with transparent cylinders with green caps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxv6gB3SlA
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Let me guess...Clear, lucite, valve extension rods, (Adapted extensions?) with pretty green end cap plugs?? Mark will set us straight. I love to look and take a guess at what has been done.

Richard Hull
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Richard is spot on correct. Really no story, just lucite extensions to keep my sleeves away from the gear. Otherwise just standard Swagelok needle vavles (ss-ss4, etc) which almost everyone here uses.

Mark Rowley
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Today was the second test of the Chinese cell. Gas production was not only dismal but fairly wet. Took almost an hour to fill the syringe. Deuterium quality was awful resulting in just a few neuts.

John, hopefully you have better luck but as of now I can’t recommend these cells under any condition. When you conduct your tests try to look for output decay over the course of a few days.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I told ya'....Go Horizon or go baroque.

Richard Hull
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

I ordered this kit directly from Horizon:
DIY Fuel Cell Science Kit (RESK-02B-1) - https://www.horizoneducational.com/diy- ... -kit/p1457 - $59 + $15 Shipping
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Some bad experience to share:

I thought I would save some steps by connecting my syringe, cell, and fusor supply together and use Mark's hemostat pinch idea to just keep the line I wanted open by changing the hemistat lication. Mistake. The syringe pull resistance is enough to cause a negative pressure sufficient to leak through the hemostat and pull on my cell. The result was breach of heavy water through the cell membrane. A tiny slug even made it into my variable leak valve. Once I get everything dry, I am back to disconnecting the syringe from the cell every time. This will require purging everything each time, but it is better than this disaster.

Jim K
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

You can also use an over/under pressure protection system consisting of two small vials initially half filed with pump oil. For details, visit topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9435. This will also give you some deuterium storage sufficient for a five to ten minute run.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great tips in a great FAQ. Assuming folks read this far in future. Too many go for the Quick rinse on the first page. Too bad.

Richard Hull
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

This little tidbit could belong other places, but just a note on the impact of moisture and in my case, a droplet, making its way into a variable leak valve like the one I use to control the flow of d into my system. The moisture will build up as a film in the sealing surfaces and turn the variability into an on or off control. The problem is fixable. A bakeout is required.
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Even though its been a year since this thread was commented on I shall add my experience of these Horizon Cells.

Jim I had the same fun of liquid D2O reaching my leak valve. Had an empty syringe connected to the cell and fusor via a T piece.

The issue was much worse in low temperatures, to the point where a plus of D2O condensation on the hydrogen side of the cell would block the output until it burped a droplet. Warming the cell slightly before use helped a lot, but for now I have also gone back to using a syringe with disconnect and purge before use.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks for your discovered work around for situations where moisture gets in your line for whatever reason. In many instances, as many of us realize,
the PEM cell is the only way many would-be fusioneers will ever get deuterium gas due to costs or other difficulties.

Richard Hull
William_Estlick

Post by William_Estlick »

Very informative thread.
Thank you.

Return to “FAQs: Fusor Construction & Operation”