FAQ - Make your own deuterium from heavy water!! The video

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

FAQ - Make your own deuterium from heavy water!! The video

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:26 am

Mark Rowley speaks as follows:

After being asked a few times over the past 18 months, I finally got around to making a very basic “how to” video regarding PEM Cell Deuterium.

IMPORTANT! Edit: Mark has created Three videos as of 5/12/21.............. R.H.

It is suggested that the videos on You tube listed below be watched in sequential order! The videos were actually created in reverse order and a second and third video were created by Mark to makeup for little understood aspects of his original video, (video #3), for the totally un-initiated in PEM cell ordering, set up, and operation. As such, many of the following replies and questions have been dealt with in the first two videos made as a response to issues raised in many of the following replies.

Video one below: What you receive when you order a PEM cell. These parts will be seen in the last two videos so pay attention. You get all you will need in the package. (except D2O and power)
Video two: This second video is crucial as it tells you how to get the PEM cell prep'd for use as well as key tips in the care, feeding and long term maintenance of your PEM cell.
Video three: The actual use of the PEM cell in making Deuterium from heavy water and connecting it to a fusor. (this was Mark's first and original video which forced the making of the first two videos at later dates).

View these videos in order

Unboxing video for the reversible "horizon" PEM cell sold by Fuel Cell Earth.......

Video #1
https://youtu.be/dGlxx4_Ov0g

Loading the PEM cell, care and maintenance.....

Video#2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo22d5e-H10

Viedeo #3
This video primarily discusses the operational basics of the Horizon PEM Cell, the use of a 100ml syringe for collection, and hookup to a fusor.

As shown, it’s a performing arrangement which has allowed for decent neutron production without much complexity. It’s also not to be considered the only method but rather to provide the basics for any fusioneer to improve and expand upon.

https://youtu.be/hUxv6gB3SlA

Mark Rowley

With a bit of reorganized editing by R.H.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - Make your own deuterium from heavy water!! The video

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:37 am

This isn't my FAQ!!! I did not want this post by Mark Rowley to just get buried in and amongst the thousands of old postings here in the Construction forum.

This is a marvelous FAQ due solely to the heroic work of Mark Rowley

This effort might best be called....."The Pem Cell- Making deuterium gas - The Movie"
A master piece of work by a selfless , "3 Star" fusioneer and contributor. Mark Rowley

For those who cannot afford or obtain tanked deuterium gas for their fusor, this is a Godsend!

For and by Mark Rowley by the most pleased Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:12 am

Questions...........

For those of us who have never used a pem cell. You did not show how or where the D2O is used or loaded into the Pem cell. I am sure it is given in the Pem cell instructions. I assume it is preloaded into the cell in some fashion.

Assuming you load the cell, how many ml. of D2O is usually a needed to fill a cell

How many 100ml syringes will the full cell load, Typically

Richard Hull

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 am

Thanks Richard. I’ll make a much shorter Part II showing how to fill and maintain the cell.

One full PEM cell is good for a little over three 100mL charges. One could probably get 4 but running the cell dry is a sure way to damage it.

Filling the cell is just a few drops. I’ll try to get a more accurate measurement in ml’s for the vid.

Mark Rowley

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:09 pm

I am sure part II will be every bit as good as part I. Post part II URL here as a reply when it is up. I can edit your text in the above initial post in this thread to include the new URL and any verbiage you wish added.

I have a couple of full tanks of D2 gas laid aside as a reserve from my last days at work in 2014. (Used my work as a business purchaser to get the D2 since 2000.)

The PEM cell has not be needed here. All of this and past posts have intrigued me regarding its use to obtain D2 for the fusor. You gave up another piece of advice I wasn't aware of in your reply above to my questions....."Don't let the cell run dry". Include all of this detailed user experience in part II. Your effort, much like the now famous Carl Willis videos on tuning up the 3He tube is invaluable to the person in dire need of a good monkey see-monkey do video.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video made by an experienced user blasting out practical tips and warnings which are hard-won is worth ten thousand words.

Richard Hull

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 am

Richard, here is Part II

https://youtu.be/Vo22d5e-H10

This video primarily discusses loading with heavy water and basic cell maintenance.

Specific to your questions, an empty cell requires 0.5mL to fill it. That charge is sufficient to fill three 100mL syringes with deuterium gas. It could probably fill four but it’d be dangerously close to running dry. I added all those details in Part II.

Mark Rowley

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat May 01, 2021 5:22 am

Thanks for the new video, Mark and the details in your above response. I have edited the end of your original post to include this new video with a suggestion that it should be viewed first by folks with no idea of what this is all about. I hope this is OK with you.

Once again well done. This video cleared up a major issues for me in getting the cell ready to go. Which side you load, how to carefully load to avoid waste of D2O, and the important admonition of not running the cell dry...EVER! Another great tip you hit on related to long term storage of the cell EMPTY. These are things a person new to the PEM cell need to know in the care and feeding of the device prior to even thinking about using it as seen in the original video.

Richard Hull

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Thanks to Mark and others, I am now making d gas out heavy water too. My fusor is very leaky but I managed a 15 minute run making enough neutrons to easily activate silver using 60 ml from a syringe. My chamber temperature was the only reason I stopped because I had another 60 ml in the syringe to use. I am using a 150 ml syringe because of my chamber size and leaks.
In some ways I Iike using the syringe instead of a lecture bottle because my bottle regulator has a control band that can move my current enough to require manual adjustments.
I can also reinforce the use of purging the syringe nipple that Mark did when first starting the fill and priming the line with d when first connecting to the fusor. I noticed the difference without. Without the prime, I found that my plasma first flashed at closer to air voltage and pressure for a few moments.

Jim K

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Sat May 01, 2021 4:43 pm

Jim,
I noticed your larger 150mL syringe (same as shown in Part 1) has an adapter that slides over the end of the syringe. Those did not come with my purchase of the same unit. Can you describe in detail how those work and did you get them separately?

Providing the seal is tight, this definitely opens the door to using the 150’s. Only change in filling procedures would be the need to purge a bit more contaminated D (~10mL?) out before filling.

Mark Rowley

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Mark,
Yes, the adapter comes with the syringe. It is made to fit the plastic tube that comes with it but works fine with the 2 mm tube that comes with the PEM cell. It presses onto the syringe nipple and doesn't seem to leak.

Jim K

Return to “FAQs: Fusor Construction & Operation”