a very good book on radiation detectors and measurment

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
UG!

a very good book on radiation detectors and measurment

Post by UG! »

Radiation Detection and Measurement by Glenn Knoll, 3rd Edition.

it covers a great many types of detector, explaining how they work, and a great many types of radiation and there intersctions with each other.
i think it also goes into the maths of measurement quite a bit as well.
i havn;t had much time to look through it yet, but it would deffanatly be usefull to people here

Oliver
Richard Hester

Re: a very good book on radiation detectors and measurment

Post by Richard Hester »

If you search here, Knoll has been mentioned early and often as the definitive text on radiation detection and measurement. If you don't have the shekels for Knoll, a copy of Price's book on detection is almost as good, though not quite as up to date. An unexpected bonus of the Price tome is that it discusses fast neutron scintillators, a subject inexplicably left out of the latest edition of Knoll.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have most every book wirtten of any consequence on nuclear detection in my library. (including all Three eds of Knolls) Knoll's is a classic classroom text and is quite good, but it is purged of older, less efficient and now disused methods with each iteration. This makes it cool and up todate, but leaves out a lot of easier methods that are considered rather long in the tooth.

To be fully armed and knowledable, one needs to sweep up all books made after WWII but before solid state came in, perhaps, books in the 1949 to 1965 time frame. These older tomes will all include a good deal of details on often easy to assemble and mechanize detection systems, albeit crude and inefficient by today's lofty standards, yet serviceable in a pair of "good hands".

Few authors touch upon GM counter detector details like Korff. For proportional chambers one reads Rossi. Neutron detectors are very specialized and some rare and expensive tomes deal with those in great depth. (Fast Neutron Phyiscs, Neutron Detectors by Allen, etc.)

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
UG!

Post by UG! »

oh, i did search the refs section for 'knoll' and didn't find a spesific post about it, i didn;t realise it was general knowledge it does indeed omit the older stuff.

Oliver

Return to “Books & References”