Looking for Reference books

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Todd Massure

Looking for Reference books

Post by Todd Massure »

I'm looking for good reference books for the following subjects:

1) Wire gauges requirements with respect to electrical operation

2) Magnetic properties of metals, specifically, BH curves for ferrous materials

I started searching Amazon & bookfinder, and realized it might be a good idea to get some recommendations. Thanks for any help.

-Todd
jhbuscher

Re: Looking for Reference books

Post by jhbuscher »

Todd,
The best source for BH data on ferrous magnetic alloys is 8th edition, Volume 1 of the Metals Handbook, American Society for Metals pgs. 785-797. Figure 17, "Direct current magnetization curves for various magnetic materials" (pg. 792) shows about every available soft magnetic material. The highest saturation induction is for Supermendur and Vanadium Permendur.
Third place goes to pure iron, vacuum, or hydrogen annealed. Unfortunately just plain iron is very difficult to buy today, at least in the sizes you would need to make a magnetic circuit of any size.

John Buscher
Todd Massure

Re: Looking for Reference books

Post by Todd Massure »

Thanks John,
I think I can find the other info I was looking for online, but BH curves seem impossible to find. I've even asked around on the magnetic engineering forum on Eng-tips.com and nobody seems to know where to get 'em on line.

Todd

Return to “Books & References”