Neutron Detection by W.D. Allen

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Richard Hull

Neutron Detection by W.D. Allen

Post by Richard Hull »

This text published in 1960 admits that its data stops at about 1958, but is proabably the finest and most complete book on the subject to be found.

Long out of print and considered rare. It is found in it original form starting at about $80.00. However, I opted for an Astro Logos "on demand" reprint from microfilm in hard back for $112.00. This is on acid free paper and flawlessly hard bound. I am most pleased with it.

This baby covers all the questions related to neutron measurement and safety. Few questions will remain once this book is absorbed in spite of its age. Prior to this I felt that only the expensive and more generalized "Fast Neutron Physics" or the "Radiation Detection" book by Knowles was the best source of neutron detection info, but this book beat all of them. A one stop source, albeit an expensive one.

Information is supplied that dates the book, but which is valid, nonetheless. i.e. The He3 (n,p) T reaction is fully covered though the author admits that the cost of He3 (1950's) is the only thing that makes this reaction not replace BF3 reaction so common in his time, which it beats out by a wide margin. Of course, He3 detectors are now in wide use.

I would image only the one or two of you who are real book heads and totally committed to the effort will seek out and purchase this book. The commitment of the purse is also rather severe, but you will not be disappointed, I assure you.

**Note*** The hard bound "book on demand" was a 12 week wait, but they told me that up front. Likewise, the 4 photographs in the book are terrible due to the high contrast of the microfilm. Most of the book is line drawing and graphs and tables which are perfect.

I attach a marginally acceptable simple digital image of the table of contents.

Richard Hull
Attachments
MVC-004X.JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Re: Neutron Detection by W.D. Allen

Post by Richard Hester »

I managed to grab this one on bookfinder.com a year or so ago relatively cheaply. It's a fine little tome.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, all the super cheapies are gone now.

I was wringing my hands over even posting this as few here as so well heeled or geared to this level of commitment in a book, but the information is valuable, nonetheless, for those who are very thirsty and can pay the price to slake that thirst.

I am glad you gave a thumbs up on the book. Thanks

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I mentioned it way back in my "Potpourri" post in this section. Back when I bought it, I got it purely on speculation, and the price was right.
pawinemaker

Post by pawinemaker »

I received my copy of this book today. I found one through Abebooks from a place in Germany. After shipping, etc, it came to 45 euros or at the time something like 55 USD. It did take 6 weeks to arrive, but it was well worth the wait. I've read through it once, but this is one of those books that needs to be read and reread and reread. The book itself is in pretty good shape and was originally from the physics library at the University of Stuggart.

One interesting piece of information that caught my eye was the quoted neutron flux rates for human exposure. Of course, in today's ultra safety concious society, they may be considered dangerous. The fast neutron value (2 MeV) was listed at 6x10^6 netrons per sq cm per week. For slow neutrons it was 3 x10^8 neutrons per sq cm per week.
dabbler

Post by dabbler »

Thanks for the tip, Richard. It's on my growing acuisition list.

dabbler.

Return to “Books & References”