Some interesting and useful texts

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Mike Veldman

Some interesting and useful texts

Post by Mike Veldman »

I finally have gotten around to scribbling down the information on some of the books on my shelf not yet mentioned by someone else, that I've found useful to my various experiments so far.

A Manual of Vacuum Practice, Martin and Hill. This has a brief overview and explaination of vacuum related instruments and devices. I think this was a Lindsay book.

Cryogenic Engineering, Russell B. Scott. Lots of high vacuum info.

Ultra High Vacuum and its Applications. Richard Roberts and Thomas Vanderslice. More good vacuum information. Can one ever have enough?

Basic Nuclear Electronics, Hai Hung Chiang. Great basic introduction to the circuits and circuit theory used in nuclear measuring, with complete working schematics of useful modules. I like circuits.

Accelerators, Machines of Nuclear Physics, Robert Wilson and Raphael Littaur. Fundemental text on accelerators, cyclotrons etc., with some good history and great pictures. I like pictures too. The authors do a great job of conveying the theory and basic concepts, I've been through this text often in the many years I've owned it. I don't know about the rest of you but, I find that by getting back into the old books closer to the origional experimenter better clearifies the concept for me.

Practical Applications of Nuetron Radiography and Gaging, Harold Berger. Lots of good information on neutron effects, generation, detection and moderation.

And lastly. The Man-made Sun, The Quest for Fusion Power. T.A. Heppenheimer. Interesting reading with excellent interviews with researchers in the field and great pictures.

I have many other obscure texts like these, but I have found these particular ones worth pulling off the shelf more than once.
mike
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped.

Return to “Books & References”