Penning trap

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Dan Knapp

Penning trap

Post by Dan Knapp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm

If anyone is interested in details of our Penning trap efforts, a paper on it is now posted on arXiv:
arXiv:2004.13103 (Go to arXiv.org and type in identifier. I couldn’t get the pasted link to work on this page).

Jerry Biehler

Re: Penning trap

Post by Jerry Biehler » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:57 am

A penning for your thoughts?

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:23 pm

My two pennings worth: It doesn't look like the classic hyperbolic electrode Penning trap is a viable approach to a fusion reactor. The required potentials are too high to avoid breakdown between the closely spaced electrodes. This is another example of something that looks very promising in a computer model, but practical realities of actually doing it in real hardware are a killer. We are now exploring an alternate approach to achieving a spherical potential well with an electrode configuration expected to be less prone to high voltage breakdown.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Keep up the good work in you future efforts, Dan! You, no doubt, have seen my recent issues with close tolerance HV work.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.