Digital X-ray dosimeters on ebay 15keV+ sensitivity

Use this forum to offer items for sale.
Andrew Seltzman

Digital X-ray dosimeters on ebay 15keV+ sensitivity

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:42 pm

There are a few Mirion DMC3000 dosimeters listed for a very good price, these go down to 15keV x-ray energy so they should be well matched for fusor use. This is a rare find at this price since most digital dosimeters are designed for gamma only with a 50keV minimum sensitive energy range and not much use for fusors.
Seller will take $150 best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miron-DMC-3000 ... 2748.l2649
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Joe Gayo

Re: Digital X-ray dosimeters on ebay 15keV+ sensitivity

Post by Joe Gayo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:14 pm

The one I received seems to have locked thresholds and doesn't adjust per the manual. Does anyone know how to restore factory defaults? (at the moment it constantly alarms on power-up)

Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 am

Joe,

I have no idea if this is information that makes any sense but I tried to buy one of them and was refunded my money.
When I asked what was going on, he said,

"So the last 2 that I sold were in a locked state and I do not have the docking station to reset them to factory.
So it has cost me 65 plus shipping on the last two to get repaired for them."

Good luck.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:18 am

Thanks. I’m going request to return the item.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:42 am

Alas, so many manufacturers rely on such docking stations to set up custom ranges of their dosimeters. Modern electronics in these systems make them so versatile, but also most difficult in some instances to use if purchased surplus. I have a number of capacitive dosimeters of the pen type by victoreen. Fortunately I have the special R meter station that charges and reads them. These were popular before the more modern and common visually readable individual internal fiber displacement types. Even these need a charger, but can be read at any time during exposure by the wearer of the dosimeter.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:46 am

Electronic dosimeters like the DMC3000 are great dosimeters. I have had my DMC2000X for nearly 20 years. It is also the low energy variant that is good down to 15 kev.

It has pretty much been running continuously since I purchased it in 2002 It is always on my shirt when I am running my fusor or at a site that I am allowed to wear it. I have traveled the world with it and it keeps on ticking.

Over the years, I have had mine calibrated twice from the company that I purchased it from; Arrow-Tech in North Dakota. Their current calibration price is $45. For that fee, they will do a NIST traceable calibration AND they will setup your parameters exactly how you want them.

With that said, I believe the 3000 model is not user configurable on the device. It requires the docking station for changes. In contrast, the 2000 models were field configurable.

Here is a link to their site.

https://www.dosimeter.com/calibration

JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 am

The one I received was likewise in a locked settings state, and I can't change its settings.

I am also going to request a refund.

Joe.

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 am

Mine was also locked in satellite mode. I contacted Mirion, they will reset to manual mode for free at the cost of shipping ($8) and can do firmware upgrades for $15ea.
RMA form-Blank (1)[21243].pdf
(80.69 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
the DMC3000 should be manually configurable if it's in manual mode:
https://www.laurussystems.com/wp-conten ... 2014-1.pdf
https://dosimetry.web.cern.ch/sites/dos ... ide_EN.pdf
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Andrew, thanks for the docs and info on getting them reset. I've got one of these from ebay too.

I guess my unit's symptoms are the same as discussed here. Let me describe and hopefully someone will confirm we're all seeing the same things.

Put a battery in and it goes through some short tests then sits at ":PAUSE" with the colon flashing slowly. The + and - keys scroll through a set of parameters or data. Can't go to run mode or change any settings. After about 10 minutes it switches to SLEEP mode.

I assume this means it is in Satellite mode and we need Autonomus mode. One thing I do not understand is what this current mode is good for. I have a 5 uCi Cs-137 source. Putting this right against the DMC3000 I see no reaction. I would think this source should be enough to trigger the present alarm settings. Putting the source up to a pancake meter window it reads >125 mR/hr.

Does it have to be in RUN mode to detect? If so how did they use these set up this way?

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that all these ebay units also don't alarm. (Hoping mine is not just broken.) The user guide from Andrew's links mentions Satellite mode but doesn't really say anything about what it means. It doesn't seem to really explain the difference of PAUSE vs RUN either. Maybe that's supposed to be obvious.

Andrew, about the RMA, did you call someone in tech support to get those prices? Very much better than I would have thought. You didn't ask about calibration, did you?

The date in one of the data values on mine is 2017 so these must have been sitting idle for quite a while.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts on these additional questions.
Rex Allers