Richard Hull - Store - for sale (updated April 2020)

Use this forum to offer items for sale.
Richard Hull

Richard Hull - Store - for sale (updated April 2020)

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm

New U and Trinitite specimens available.....See below.....

*******NOTE to foreign buyers************

ALL of the material offered here are for sale in the U.S. ONLY! Rad rocks will be shipped only via UPS and not via the US mails. Sorry about this, but I figure this will avoid hassles and delays.
The cost is a bit more, but I prefer to ship the rocks this way. Other items can go via U.S. Mail RH

************************** NOTE ***********************

My NEW email is: hull7103@comcast.net

I do not have PayPal.....
Checks and money orders made out to:

Richard Hull
7103 Hermitage Road
Richmond, VA 23228

......................... Current for sale items follows that can be shipped.....................

Geiger counter tubes, Arduino based finished counters.

Tubes naked $60.00 + postage Tube in nice aluminum probe handle with BNC connector $80.00 All tubes are mil spec 5979 type with 1" diameter mica window, halogen quenched.

Updated - I have added finished GM counters of a fixed design working off a simple 9V battery. No more kits available.

Inquire on above...

*********************************************************************************************

GM counters (Arduino based)

These counters both convey identical data
1. Total counts since reset or turn-on
2. Current Counts per minute (updated every 6 seconds)
3. millirem/per hour dose rate
4. Total absorbed dose

See images below.... click to enlarge

Both counters use a common 9 volt battery for power. Both have instruction sheets sent with them.

Rad reporter I $100.00 +shipping

This Counter has a two line by 16 character LCD display. A mode button allows all of the above data to be displayed
When turned on, the counter shows the total counts and counts per minute. Pressing and releasing the mode button
displays the dose rate and total absorbed dose. pressing the mode button again and releasing it throws the counter
back to the original counts and CPM mode.

The reset button zeros all functions and starts back at the counts mode as at turn-on

Rad reporter II $120.00 + shipping

This counter displays all data on a 4 line by 20 character LCD display at once.
There is no mode button.

Both counters would demand an alkaline battery be used or a rechargeable 200mAh nickel metal hydride battery.

****************************************************************************************

I have decided to sell one of my old DVDs on Tesla Power Transformers again. ( I made over 70, 2 hour Tesla related tapes (1989-2000).

We have a ton of time consuming questions here at fusor.net regarding power transformers. Back in my Tesla coiling days I produced a series of educational 2 hour video tapes. One of these dealt with only the subject of the Tesla coil Transformer.

In this video I give a 2 hour talk on the types of High Voltage transformers available and how to acquire and test them with diagrams of hookups and testing. This is great for the absolute neophyte who doesn't know much about obtaining, testing, repairing and hooking up high voltage transformers. This is probably better for the guy looking to make a demo fusor system with zero electrical experience. Safety is also discussed along with wall outlet hookups. Tape made circa 1992. Old, but still good solid info.

DVD, 2 hours long, sent postpaid in the U.S. only! Price.... $18.00

Uranium Ore samples from famous mines.

Shipped via UPS only!

These are collectors pieces and should make the mineral collector happy. All come with labels of full provenance of discovery, location, mine, date and name of person who collected the mineral.

I have a few specimens with contained fluorescent Autunite, (glows bright green under short wave UV.).

1"- 2" sizes from $5.00 each and up.
Larger sizes available from $10.00 each and up.
Fluorescent material costs more $10.00 up various sizes and coverages.

I still have bland pieces of decent activity to use for check sources $5.00

From recent trip to the best U boom mines of the old south-west. 10/2005

NOTE***** July 2009..... I just increased my availability and quantity of good old rare and hot U ore rock specimens due to an even more recent trip to the Colorado plateau, adding 4 new mines to the collection. I also have a number of fluorescent U ore rock specimens on hand for sale.

Inquire

TRINITITE !

That's right, trinitite, the green glassy material resulting from the world's first nuclear explosion in the New Meixco desert is July of 1945.

This still, slightly radioactive material is becoming more rare as the years pass and as it is collected and hoarded as a part of the history of the blast that heralded the start of the "nuclear age".

I can supply reasonably priced small to medium sized Trinitite material that is only slightly to moderately radioactive.

Note: This material is far too weak to be used as a good check source. I suggest the above U ore rock for that purpose. This is collector material and a curio from the early nuclear age that never fully blossomed.
The ugliest, barely green Trinitite specimens with gray sand in the greenish surface are always the most radioactive. The stunningly beautiful specimens are the ones that are extremely low in radiation. As the bulk of all radiation is due to surface alpha emitters a 2-inch mica windowed pancake is used to state surface radiation of the piece. Those early hot beta emitters from the 40's have, for the most part, long since decayed through 4-5 half lives. Am142 and Cs137 are the only ones that remain for amateur detection, for the most part. Only liquid nitrogen cooled, HpGe gamma spec detectors can reveal the host of other remnant isotopes fading gamma signatures.

Contact me at my e-mail address (click on blue name in heading.)

As requested, I am adding a visual photo of typical largish and medium sized pieces below. (click to enlarge) In each size there are 4 pieces offered. To the right of their black number is a white number. The white is the CPM (counts per minute), for that specimen. As mentioned above all Trinitite is weak. Below I give specific data on how I arrived at the CPM rated activities. Measure your specimen by any other method and you will not get the same value!! This is because you do not have a 2" pancake, in most cases or are not counting with a digital counter, but using an analog meter.

These are delicate and will require a small box to be shipped. The box and postage might come to as much as $5.00. I hope less. Save money and buy two or three or all for the same shipping price!

How did I arrive at the Trinitite CPM values:

I did a long term statistical background reduction over many periods and achieved a one sigma value of +/- 16 cpm related to the background
I placed a safety screened 2" diameter LND 7311 mica windowed GM pancake tube, centered, 1cm above the Trinitite specimen to be measured
A NIM counting setup with digital counter was run for 10 minute collection time on each specimen. Taking the mean value over this period was determined. The background obtained is subtracted from this mean count to obtain the true count within the 1 sigma value given above.

New July 2020 - free 7 page PDF here that is a buyers guide to trinitite for the first timer or the old timer.

Diffusion pump for sale $250.00 + shipping U.S. only

MCF-300l/s, Clean, good heater, water cooled, 4" throat, 6" - 6 bolt, flat flange, 115v heater, 750 watt, 225cc oil charge, weight 20 lbs.

If you have the need for a super diff pump and pack the gear needed to handle the flanges, water and silly-cone oil, this is the pump for you.
sold and warranted to be clean and heater functional. No refunds for those "little boys" who get in over their head buying this big boy.

4 clear Images below for those in the know......

Richard Hull
Attachments
Buying and Selling Trinitite.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
LargeSales.jpg
MediumSale.jpg
BigDiff (1).JPG
diffusion.jpg
BigDiff (3).JPG
BigDiff (4).JPG
Rad ReporterII.jpg
Rad ReporterII.jpg (102.44 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
Rad Reporter I.jpg
Rad Reporter I.jpg (65.59 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cooper Giles

Re: Richard Hull - Store - for sale (updated April 2020)

Post by Cooper Giles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 pm

I may be interested in buying some trinitite. Could you provide something like a photo of a medium sized piece and a rough approximation of its dimensions?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 am

I have added a small selection in images with data in the original post above. I have bigger and more active pieces for a lot higher prices. Make a specific request if these are not suitable.
Before requesting, 1500 CPM on a piece of Trinitite that is nice and shiny green is extremely rare. Larger pieces are also very rare. Put both together and you have a really rare piece, indeed.

Out of about 1000 pieces in my possession, I might have 10 of these combined rarities.

I have a few dull gray ugly usually small specimens that are over 2,000 cpm. I also have a few bigger beautiful green specimens with almost no radiation signature <100 cpm over background. I have been doing Trinitite sales for about 16 years now. A piece that is larger than a U.S. silver dollar, if you can find one, is several hundred, if not a thousand dollar+ item! I wish I had one.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cooper Giles

Post by Cooper Giles » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Wow! Those are some outstanding pieces of Trinitite at a very good price! I must ask though, how would you recommend storing them? I don't have much experience with radioactive materials like these.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:03 am

These could be stored in your pants pocket for 20 years with no harm coming to you! Unfortunately, as I have noted, they are glass in the form of loaf bread, filled with air pocket cavities and are fragile. In your pocket they would be reduced to powdered Trinitite! For all intents and purposes, they are not radioactive. I have granite gravel in my driveway that rivals the radioactivity of these Trinitite specimens.

As an example, when uranium hunting in Utah at the old mines, I put many of my finest radioactive ore samples which I found, in my back pack! I and my two other pals used to return to the motel and measure the radiation from our still closed back packs that were against our backs for the bulk of the day. The guy with the hottest backpack was treated to 2 beers at dinner that evening. I usually won with my backpack always reading over 120,000 cpm bombarding my spinal column (blood forming organ), for many hours, (beta, gamma). I am now 74 years old and the 8 days of backpack exposure in 2005 and another 10 days in 2009, seem to have had no real effect. No real issue.

Compare the 120,000 cpm to the hottest Trinitite piece of 458 cpm with most being alpha particles of 3 cm range in air and beta particles that can move over 50cm.

For their protection, and not yours, store them wrapped in tissue in an old cigar box.

Richard Hull

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:36 am

I just added an 8 page PDF file on buying Trinitite for those interested in this material.

Richard Hull