A boosted GM tube - Report

Members may post files they wish to share here.
Richard Hull

A boosted GM tube - Report

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Attached is a recent experimental procedure and report that I performed to test out a simple boosting procedure on a low effieiciency, all glass, GM tube.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Buildup paper.doc
(175.5 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cai Arcos

Re: A boosted GM tube - Report

Post by Cai Arcos » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:27 am

Richard:

I'm interested if you still had this file. I came from here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5647&p=37875&hilit ... bes#p37875 and it seems like an interesting experiment.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:09 am

I found a partial file from back then. There is enough to give you the gist of what I was doing. I will look to another CPU I have of that era. Apparently, I saved this partial file while working on the paper. the original was 365 kbytes.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 am

Thank you Richard!
It was a most interesting read

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 pm

The upshot, of course is that it is really tough to measure radiation from almost any source to some degree of precision without a lot of thought and good gear.
Likewise, you can boost the effective beta detection rate by placing a thin layer of the emitting substance on a thin lead plate over placing it on a piece of paper due to recoil.
You can do this for a cylinder magnet by backing one pole with a soft steel plate! The measured gauss strength can be increased at the non-backed pole over what would be measured with the same magnet, unbacked by steel. *Note this is not directly related to the radiation issue as completely different, unrelated mechanisms are at work.

Richard Hull